Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 27-Aug-2006, 17:33
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul James
... Lets not go off on another he said we said you said but all I'm really trying to understand here is why there is so much resistance to making the process easier for all involved.

This is a genuine open question, not sarcasm, not getting at you, just trying to understand the thought process ...

I don't think anyone has resisted making the process simpler at all. Why do you ask?
Old 27-Aug-2006, 17:37
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Because some seem to have a continuing aversion to sending information in by email as previously mentioned. It really does make it easier to use that way as I'm sure you can appreciate and gives ALL riders an equal opportunity.

I'm just referring to info for the questionnaire here as that was the topic being discussed.

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 27-Aug-2006, 17:40
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Because some seem to have a continuing aversion to sending information in by email as previously mentioned. It really does make it easier to use that way as I'm sure you can appreciate and gives ALL riders an equal opportunity.

I'm just referring to info for the questionnaire here as that was the topic being discussed.

Cool, no worries.
Old 27-Aug-2006, 17:57
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Thank you for that, I do recall the thread and did wonder why none of those who had contributed were willing to help me out by sending in their input as I thought I'd reasonably requested ?.

Lets not go off on another he said we said you said but all I'm really trying to understand here is why there is so much resistance to making the process easier for all involved.

This is a genuine open question, not sarcasm, not getting at you, just trying to understand the thought process.

Fair enough, I will give you a genuinely honest answer (and not directed soley at you)...

You had contributed to the thread in question, so therefore why didn't you email it to yourself? Seriously though, you were aware of it, why didn't you have a quick look for it? You're writing the questionnaire right? and you knew there were questions on a thread.

Surely part of the "Managements" job is to dare I say it 'pro-actively' search out the info that they know is already there? Can you understand the frustration of people when we're asked to email something that you're clearly already aware of? You had posted on the thread, but you still need someone to email the info?! It took me all of 60 seconds to find the thread and copy the info.

When I do anything for the unofficial site, I am fully aware that I'd be wasting my time if I said "Can you send me your lap times please", but I don't let that bother me for two reasons...

1. I know that the majority of people will appreciate my effort.
2. I enjoy doing it, so it's not a hassle.

I spend my own time searching for the info and putting things together on my own, as I see that is part of the responsibility that I have taken on. This is also why I get frustrated sometimes, when MT members require things to be handed over on a plate before they can act on it, rather than spending some time searching for it themselves - it's all out there, available to everyone!

Now, I'm not dumb enough to think that everyone has loads of spare time, but if you don't have the time to take on the role, then maybe it should be looked after by someone that does? Whatever that role is.

Quote:
Oh and by the way, I think you've missed off the "what is your favourite cheese" question

If the last remark can't be taken as a bit of fun I guess we are all in a pretty poor old way.

Actually, I think that's funny
Old 27-Aug-2006, 18:31
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
I don't know ... I'm seeing all sorts of sides here, and justifications on all sides.
If an organiser wants info emailing to him, email it to him. Trying to trawl through various threads on the Message Board is a nightmare, you not only have to find the thread(s) that contains the info you want, you also have to take the time to satisfy yourself that you have found all the threads and all the info posted on the Board. This last bit can be very time-consuming.

I don't always enjoy the style in which some MT members choose to post (to be honest, it sometimes makes me wince), but I have to say that Paul James's request regarding being emailed is a reasonable one, for the reason I've stated above.

On the other hand, if you feel that it is unreasonable to expect people to email their questions/suggestions/etc to the organisor, offer yourself up as his replacement and do things your way. But when you've done this, make sure you don't adopt the occasional supercilious tone at the same time
Old 27-Aug-2006, 18:55
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz
If an organiser wants info emailing to him, email it to him. Trying to trawl through various threads on the Message Board is a nightmare, you not only have to find the thread(s) that contains the info you want, you also have to take the time to satisfy yourself that you have found all the threads and all the info posted on the Board. This last bit can be very time-consuming.

People will be people though, and some just can't be bothered to email things through, perhaps more so when it's been discussed already - maybe thinking that someone else will do it?

Therefore, the person requesting the info has a certain responsibility to seek this information, rather than sit back in the hope that it will all be emailed through.

As I said, if I was putting something together (as I have done), I would search for the info I need, and you're right, it is very time consuming, but that's the commitment I made.

Quote:
I don't always enjoy the style in which some MT members choose to post (to be honest, it sometimes makes me wince), but I have to say that Paul James's request regarding being emailed is a reasonable one, for the reason I've stated above.

I don't have an issue with PJ's request to email questions to him. I think I covered this in my reply above too. I agree with the wincing but too, sometimes.

Quote:
On the other hand, if you feel that it is unreasonable to expect people to email their questions/suggestions/etc to the organisor, offer yourself up as his replacement and do things your way. But when you've done this, make sure you don't adopt the occasional supercilious tone at the same time

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to email their questions. It's perfectly sensible to request that.

BUT, to request people email the questions from a thread that the MT member had contributed to seems to be a bit silly, and possibly a bit lazy on their behalf. As PJ stated

"I do recall the thread and did wonder why none of those who had contributed were willing to help me out"

...so he was aware of it and even one of those to contribute to it, but yet it would appear that the 15+ questions within that thread had been left out (that's how it reads to me).
Old 27-Aug-2006, 19:03
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
Fair enough, I will give you a genuinely honest answer (and not directed soley at you)...

You had contributed to the thread in question, so therefore why didn't you email it to yourself? Seriously though, you were aware of it, why didn't you have a quick look for it? You're writing the questionnaire right? and you knew there were questions on a thread.

Surely part of the "Managements" job is to dare I say it 'pro-actively' search out the info that they know is already there? Can you understand the frustration of people when we're asked to email something that you're clearly already aware of? You had posted on the thread, but you still need someone to email the info?! It took me all of 60 seconds to find the thread and copy the info.

When I do anything for the unofficial site, I am fully aware that I'd be wasting my time if I said "Can you send me your lap times please", but I don't let that bother me for two reasons...

1. I know that the majority of people will appreciate my effort.
2. I enjoy doing it, so it's not a hassle.

I spend my own time searching for the info and putting things together on my own, as I see that is part of the responsibility that I have taken on. This is also why I get frustrated sometimes, when MT members require things to be handed over on a plate before they can act on it, rather than spending some time searching for it themselves - it's all out there, available to everyone!

Now, I'm not dumb enough to think that everyone has loads of spare time, but if you don't have the time to take on the role, then maybe it should be looked after by someone that does? Whatever that role is.

Actually, I think that's funny

Well at least we've got a bit of dialogue developing. I take on board your points but if I was to say; "please can you guys help me out here and make my job easier by sending info as requested" would that help ? Maybe one of you would like to volunteer to sweep up all the forum info and send it in ?. Be aware that if you missed anything it would be your ar*e on the line and not mine for a change ;-). If on the other hand you individually send it to the DD address it is the RC, or more to the point me who will get it in the neck for any errors or omissions.

Surely whether one has time to take on a role is very dependent on how much genuine help and goodwill is forthcoming ?. I truly appreciated your keeping the points table up to date for instance and publicly said as much but it seems that you've stopped doing that now ? I didn't make a public song and dance over it, just got on and sorted it myself.

I'd like you to consider that there are quite a few of you guys (and guyesses) out there making your contributions but there's only one of me trying to pull them all together into a workable document in this instance. It is feasible if simple requests like the email thingy are accepted.

My intention in doing this is only to benefit the series by answering questions that have arisen throughout the year in the hope that a little more stability can be introduced for next year.

I'd like you to ask any MT member you have trust in to comment on the amount of effort I've put in to sorting this out to date. Maybe Jools as he's respected by most or perhaps Paul Sutliff, an ex DD rider.

I would appreciate being able to continue any discussioin in a reasonable manner and will agree here and now not to get agitated or respond unreasonably myself. Not sure what else I can say at this juncture.

http://www.multirole-eng.com

http://www.audicator.com Check out our simple to fit, potentially life saving turn signal alert system.
Old 27-Aug-2006, 19:27
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Well at least we've got a bit of dialogue developing. I take on board your points but if I was to say; "please can you guys help me out here and make my job easier by sending info as requested" would that help ? Maybe one of you would like to volunteer to sweep up all the forum info and send it in ?. Be aware that if you missed anything it would be your ar*e on the line and not mine for a change ;-). If on the other hand you individually send it to the DD address it is the RC, or more to the point me who will get it in the neck for any errors or omissions.

OK, I don't really know how to explain my view properly, but I will try...

It is my belief that it is the responsibility of the Race Committee to gather this information. There are two MT members and two rider reps. Are you saying that four blokes can't get this information from the forum?

I run a website all on my own, everything that is on that website has been gathered, put together, written by, requested, chased up, searched for... by me - one person!

I'm fairly confident that I could put together a questionnaire within easily within a week, and probably just a couple of days, allowing people to email anything I may not find myself. The RC have had 3 weeks and still no end product. I'm not having a go, my way is my way and your way is your way.

I know I could do that too, because I have done...

Myself and Lucie put together the rider profile folder in under a week, with almost 40 profiles. I had to chase some people, but I got my head down and it got done without too much work to be honest. A few hours of my time and probably a couple hours of Lucie's time to print out the info and put it in a folder.

Quote:
Surely whether one has time to take on a role is very dependent on how much genuine help and goodwill is forthcoming ?

How much help you require depends on how much work you want to do yourself. If you're relying on people to email you, then we'll be here all year - whatever the topic. Someone needs to grab the situtaion by the balls and crack on with it.

Quote:
I truly appreciated your keeping the points table up to date for instance and publicly said as much but it seems that you've stopped doing that now ? I didn't make a public song and dance over it, just got on and sorted it myself.

Yes, but I don't think that requires an explanation does it.

Quote:
I'd like you to consider that there are quite a few of you guys (and guyesses) out there making your contributions but there's only one of me trying to pull them all together into a workable document in this instance. It is feasible if simple requests like the email thingy are accepted.

To be fair, I think you're making a meal of this questionnaire Paul. I've given examples of some of my efforts above. Putting a questionnaire together really isn't that big of a deal is it? If we're being honest.

Quote:
My intention in doing this is only to benefit the series by answering questions that have arisen throughout the year in the hope that a little more stability can be introduced for next year.

That's great and we do appreciate stuff, when it gets done, eventually

Quote:
I'd like you to ask any MT member you have trust in to comment on the amount of effort I've put in to sorting this out to date. Maybe Jools as he's respected by most or perhaps Paul Sutliff, an ex DD rider.

I would appreciate being able to continue any discussioin in a reasonable manner and will agree here and now not to get agitated or respond unreasonably myself. Not sure what else I can say at this juncture.

I don't question your effort or committment, and some good things have been achieved since you've been on the RC. However, I'm not gunna blow smoke up your arse because I think that some things could have been done better and quicker and without so much drama. Have you tried Red Bull?

I think I've been honest in my replies.

Last edited by domski : 27-Aug-2006 at 19:29.
Old 27-Aug-2006, 19:34
Ducati Corse

< waves hand above parapet >

maybe peeps who got the 2 rider reps emails did respond to them, and also on the forum here, and then maybe thought they didnt need to also respond to your email Paul?

off to chill......................

<walks off whistling>
Old 27-Aug-2006, 20:10
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
  • Would you prefer the machine rules to remain unchanged? Yes/No
  • Would you like to exclude 695cc machines in 2007? yes/no
  • How many (UK) rounds would you prefer in 2007? 6 or 7
  • Which month would you prefer to start in? March or April
  • If we race at Assen, would you prefer it to be points or non-points?
  • How many scoring races to count? All points to count/drop 1 race/drop 2 races
  • How would you like the series to be administered? 1 dedicated person/A committee as per 2006
  • Would you like to have rider reps? yes/no
  • Would you like a long race? yes/no
  • Would you like to remove the rule which requires the top 3 to move out of Class B? yes/no
  • How many should we allow to sign up for the 2007 series....32, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64
  • If limiting the number of entries to one grid how do we decide who should be entering the series
  • How Many grids should we try for if we have less than 50 sign up..... 1 or 2
  • If only running 1 grid and we have 40 or more signed up how do we decide who are reserves/non quallifiers
  • If only one grid and DD races at Mallory at a club event with 32 on a grid how many will be happy to race in a class other than DD

That about covers it for me.
Many of the querstions in the top half of the list were included in the questionnaire I sent out, for which I got back 26 replies, which I didn't think was bad going.
These replies I have forwarded to the rest of the RC and PJ should be going over the results of it along with the results from Tim's feedback to be able to give answers to some of the questions without having to ask them again.
I haven't seen the feedback from the 620 riders, but from my own feedback it shouldn't be to hard to give a answer on things like machine specification and rider entry criteria in the very near future. Hopefully at the same time as PJ sends out his questionnaire to tidy up loose ends.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Closed Thread