Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Oct-2004, 21:52
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Deej, had it occured to you that there may be a problem with the engine, or it may be restricted??
Theres no way any 748 should struggle to top 120 on a flat road. It will never be as fast in a straight line as an R6 but the difference is not as great as you would think.
As for the handling, what tyres do you have on it? The choice of tyres can make a big difference to the turn in, I had BT012ss on mine, but D207RR Dunlops are highly recommended as well. Changing to these tyres will not upset the straight line stability either.
You can mess around with the ride height if you want, but I wouldn't bother as it will leave you no adjustment when you change the chain length, and that is what the ride height adjuster is actually for. Just turn the steering damper right down and get the forks and shock set up for you and your riding, and you will be fine!
Also, give yourself some time to adapt, it took me a year to fully get to grips with my 748 and that was coming from another Duke.
Final piece of advice.......
Don't listen to a word Weeksy says!
Old 18-Oct-2004, 22:05

My 748sp leaves jap 4s for dead including the new cbr, thats going against guys are not slow by any meens,
Old 18-Oct-2004, 22:12
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
mine too :P
Old 18-Oct-2004, 23:31
Big Twin
Bikes: 998S Chili trackbike,749R (corse kit), 748SPS

Mood: Flange - it's a state of mind....
Not sure about that

I've got a 1998 748sps and there's no way it's as powerful as the new CBR600RR (although the powers at the top end )

When I was in Almeria in April a bloke on a 748R forgot his keys so hired an RR & was shocked by how much more powerful the RR was than his 748R & how well it handled - his words not mind

Don't get me wrong the 748 is a great track bike, with great handling and an addictive sound but it's an old design/engine now and a relatively underpowered and the jap 600's have caught up and overtaken in quite a few cases the RR being one of them - still wouldn't buy an RR though way too bland!!!

For me the 748 is a much more involving bike to ride - that's why I've hung onto it for 4.5 years..............
Old 18-Oct-2004, 23:38
Ducati Meccanica

didnt say it was as powerfull.
but if you were to do all the mods on a IL4 that i have done to my bike then they would be quicker again, so a bit of a unfair statement
Old 18-Oct-2004, 23:56
Big Twin

Haven't done much to mine, 3 up on the rear sprocket and an FIM chip plus the 50mm system - lack of speed mainly down to me

When I was at the Silverstone GP circuit on the 27/9 I was moaning about getting hammered on the straights by the fireblades/gsxr's etc only to see skidlids in the next session leaving them for dead on a.................you guessed it 748!!
Old 19-Oct-2004, 00:06
Ducati Meccanica

yes i was surprised at how well i could stay with the big bikes, you can get on the power so early because you know it wont spit you off and brake alot later, but i know its all relative.
as far as mods go 50mm fim chip + dyno time, head work inc diald in cams, lots of weight saving carbon bodywork, mag wheels, small batt, no fly wheel and light weight corse slipper clutch, Still more to do
Old 19-Oct-2004, 00:12
Ducati Corse

Viva la difference ...

4 cylinders or 2 cylinders - different appraches to the same problem of going fast. I love my MV but I enjoy riding my 916 far more. Why? Well, the weight distribution is so low and neutral that the 916 feels more stable and secure, I would never worry about losing the front end for example. The power is linear and I know what I will get whatever I ask - the MV needs to be spun beyond 7,000 but the 916 pulls from 3,000 and the fuel injection is far crisper and more accurate. I love the howl from the IL4 but I am besotted by the sound from the 50mm Termis. The MV turns so much more quickly and is really secure on her side, the 916 is harder to turn but fills me with more confidence. The MV is quicker and get there more easily but the 916 is so much more relaxing, it's like the Bob Marley song: 'don't worry 'bout a thing' The MV gets far more attention ... well, she is beautiful

Just different ways of doing the same job IMHO
Old 19-Oct-2004, 00:47
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
i'll see what happens when were out in a group,im quite sure that if im front at the first part of the twisties i will definetly be way in front at the end of them, it does feel like it will corner well i just need taht extar bit of confidence

desmojen, shes running standard gearing, the engines fine its harv's old bike and people know it so it must be the way ive been riding her, i noticed it would pull 110 in 4th, think i'll go away and play abit more,s hould be out on thursday wheather permitting

agree with chris that the new jap bikes are quite something, the new zx636 will rock but they still aint a ducati and thats the main thing, im feeling better in myself about things now

think its time to go back to walking before trying to run
Old 19-Oct-2004, 01:08
Big Twin

Deej

I had a Jap 600 before my 748

My first impression's were mixed - firstly nobody had told me it would feel this agricultural/crude after an IL4, next the fuelling was a nightmare around town (FIM chip & 3 more cogs on the rear solves this), next it felt down on torque particularly exiting 2/3nd gear corners where I thought the 748 would be stronger....... - like you I wasn't sure if I'd done the right thing - I was expecting it to pull like a train and I was missing the induction howl of my ZX6R!!

Then riding back to Nottingham, a bit ****ed off, I hit an empty fast sweeping A road and just f**king nailed it - no doubts left after that, Brands Indy just confirmed I'd had made the right choice.

Keep the faith