Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Mar-2011, 18:50
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Looking at the 955 option of boring the cases and fitting just pistons and Barrells. Using the standard 916 injectors and ECU with possibly a slightly higher fuel pressure and mapped by a PC3 I can't see it really giving a huge increase in power to keep up with your mates as all your getting is a 4% increase in capacity and higher compression. Your not getting the bigger valves and performance cams most true 955s have.

My 916Bip mades 104.5 rwhp, my 996 Bip around 116, the 996SPS if I recall rightly is around 136bhp and my 955 Corse is rated at 155bhp although the Chip in the P8 ECU does allow it to rev to 13500 rpm not something I would recommend for a road bike

Question is how much horse power are you looking for to help keep up with your mates, as getting a 916 to produce more power and be reliable your probably still going to be short of what you need

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 13-Mar-2011, 18:42

This is an interesting thread,my project bike uses a 955 engine to.

The spec of the engine is as follows,if i remember correctly

Brand new 748 last spec cases
916SP crank
Titanium rods
Omega race pistons
748R heads,flowed
Now as for the cams i cant remember if they are 748 or 996 SPS cams.

All engine internals were lightened and balanced,and everything blueprinted.

I am using a 996RS rad,996RS 7 row oil cooler and a EVO2 exhaust system.

The throttle boddies are from a 996,but not the P8 ecu,i am going to bore them to 54mm as i am using a factory large airbox and to make use of the large valave sizes of the 748R heads.

I had thought about using the injector system of a 748R,but i allready had the 996 unit so will give it a try first,however it will be interesting to see what the result is with this thread,i think it will be finished way before my bike.
Old 13-Mar-2011, 20:39
Bikes: Mostro S4 - Superbike 916

Hi,
currently, on Ebay, somebody is selling a full package (airbox+TB) from 748R.
Prices are interesting...for the moment. Take a look (it's not me or a friend )
What kind of frame do you use?

I'm conducting a similar project from a 916 Bipo, but it'll take time due to my job. So tell us about, it will be very interesting to have your experience.

Bye
Old 13-Mar-2011, 23:36

My project has been running for over 2 years now,i started from scratch with nothing,not even one nut or bolt! lol.The frame i used is a standard 748 frame,only modification was to modify the bracket for the ignition switch to allow the fitment of a 3 part genuine corse large airbox.
I am using Ohlins R&T forks wich i will be converting to radial calipers to fit some M4 calipers i have.The shock is a Ohlins 998RS shock.still need a Mag swingarm.I have a corse full floating rear brake disc,still need to get a P4 rear caliper.
Bodywork is full MS carbon 998RS bodywork,with a carbon subframe.
Mag 848 wheels,
Magneti Marelli MT940/B1 dash.
Lots of other stuff,odds and sods,still lots to get lol,lots to modify and parts to make.
Old 16-Mar-2011, 13:40
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
The old adage goes "speed costs - how fast can you afford to go?".

Now you have uttered the fateful words "money doesn't really matter", so my suggestion would be to approach one of the established, recognised Ducati tuners (JHP - Ducati Coventry, Pro-Twins etc), and tell them what your requirements and budget are.

Their solutions would be tried and tested, and you would not have issues sourcing compatible parts for your tuning package.

Anyway, if you're going to swap the motor, I hear them there 1198's are quite sprightly.

All the very best of luck.

Spin
Old 16-Mar-2011, 22:09

I have also done this conversion to a 748rs, the difficult part is sourcing the parts mainly the pistons and having the right gudgeon pin size 20mm for the road bike if I remember correctly. I even visited the Pistal Racing workshop to see if I could get some eventually sourcing mine from America as old stock. Omega don't like dealing with Joe public and reasonably like taking orders in multiples. I did not hand over a blank cheque to a bike shop as they outsource most of the work to engineering shops anyway, the skill is in finding the right places to go to get the job done and not paying a middle man just to take your engine out. Crank balancing, case machining are not going to be done in a bike shop, and an engine builder is what you want as they are different to a bike mechanic. Remember that pankl rods need pankl bolts and the rods need shells etc, etc, when does it stop.
Old 17-Mar-2011, 09:18

I aggree with spragg,i never had intended on havin a 955 engine,i was going to 853 my 748sps engine first,then i was going to have a 996sps engine then the 955 came along by chance.
Built by "First Attack Racing" in Germany,guy had it built at a huge cost and then couldnt afford to finish paying for it,got offered to me for the price of the remaining bill.
Old 17-Mar-2011, 17:49
Mille

Mood: Done with Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeecol
I aggree with spragg,i never had intended on havin a 955 engine,i was going to 853 my 748sps engine first,then i was going to have a 996sps engine then the 955 came along by chance.
Built by "First Attack Racing" in Germany,guy had it built at a huge cost and then couldnt afford to finish paying for it,got offered to me for the price of the remaining bill.

Result
Old 01-Jul-2011, 06:53
Bikes: Mostro S4 - Superbike 916

I've currently the same kind of project by upgrading my Bipo.
But I'm using another engine in order to keep a 916 in the garage.
Mods are:
- 955 by reboring cylinders kit
- lightened crankshaft SP3
- Ti conrods
- Hi comp pistons
- 748R injection (TB, airbox,...) so frame but also heads... modifications
- lightened parts (clutch carter,...)

Worst part will be injection set-up. But I think I'll use PCIII...