Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Sep-2009, 08:42

ok iv done

ok iv done it gone and got rid of the faith full jap bike and bought a 2000 996sp 50mm termis and correct chip(so im told )runs fine sound like a bean fed pig if not a bit load loads of carbon bits all the usual trimmings but the question i have is it too much hassle to put a passenger seat on or is it just a case of sub frame cowl and pegs or more trouble i know people will say why didnt you get a bip but i realy like the way this rode and also what steps do you take to get them ready for winter instead of putting them to bed lol
Old 25-Sep-2009, 10:42
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
SPS uses the P8 ECU which is pretty big. Also runs ignition amplifiers in same location. There's a lot of wiring and ECu under the seat hump. That would all need remounting to get a BP seat on. wouldn't mount to BP subframe either. Short answer is no, not really
As for winter. If your riding her, wash her down, protect as much as you can with WD40 or such like and polish to protect paint. Don't put it away damp, fan heater in garage for a while.
If your storing, same steps really. Good clean beforehand, keep away from damp and fill the tank with fuel. That stops condensation and rusting of tank internally. Living room is ideal place
Old 25-Sep-2009, 11:03
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Hi Scotty,

I did the swap on my '01 748R. You need a few little bits as well as the subframe and seat, especially if you don't want to have to swap all the fittings/lights/indies etc over every time you change between Single and Bip seat units.

Neil will know better than anyone though about the wiring/ECU clutter on that bike so go with his wise words.

www.copeimages.com

WeeJohnyB, Best instructor out there http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com/
Old 25-Sep-2009, 17:28
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Hi Scotty,

I did the swap on my '01 748R. You need a few little bits as well as the subframe and seat, especially if you don't want to have to swap all the fittings/lights/indies etc over every time you change between Single and Bip seat units.

Neil will know better than anyone though about the wiring/ECU clutter on that bike so go with his wise words.

I think the ecu on the sps is a whole lot bigger than the one on the 748R.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2f4d_1.jpg (21.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by chris.p : 25-Sep-2009 at 17:33.
Old 26-Sep-2009, 08:43

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
I think the ecu on the sps is a whole lot bigger than the one on the 748R.

Chris
thanks for all the help and advice guys but went to collect bike to day and it wouldnt start when asked the guy what the problem was he just looked blank and said i will get one of the mechanics to look for you so i said ring me when its sorted and left not a good start to my ducati adventure dont think i will be going back when he rings will look else were
Old 26-Sep-2009, 09:43
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Having some tinnies and a barbie
I take it they were going to take your R1 in P/X?
Old 26-Sep-2009, 19:30

yes they were quite eager to do the deal now i know why i know people say ducatis have issues but usualy after they have owned it a while
Quote:
Originally Posted by final_edition
I take it they were going to take your R1 in P/X?
Old 27-Sep-2009, 00:30
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
an sps is a special beast; race bike for the road. High comp means even the best battery can struggle to start it, when I had mine if it didnt ire 2nd go there wasnt a third!! also you cant start them with fast idle on; you have to 'catch' it as it just starts then get the FI on or it wont turn ast enough...takes a bit of a knack but worth it!! It wont be like your R1 in most ways, some great some not so great

if you ant reliable Ducati, head for a later non special version, but the rep isnt really justified that much. Think about DD; road speck old 583 and newer 620 monsters and ss's being thrashed everytime they on used and very few major issues
Old 27-Sep-2009, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
an sps is a special beast; race bike for the road. High comp means even the best battery can struggle to start it, when I had mine if it didnt ire 2nd go there wasnt a third!! also you cant start them with fast idle on; you have to 'catch' it as it just starts then get the FI on or it wont turn ast enough...takes a bit of a knack but worth it!! It wont be like your R1 in most ways, some great some not so great

if you ant reliable Ducati, head for a later non special version, but the rep isnt really justified that much. Think about DD; road speck old 583 and newer 620 monsters and ss's being thrashed everytime they on used and very few major issues
yes i under stand that from the reading i have done but that wasnt the prob i could have under stood a flat batt but the bike was turning over just not fireing and the interest i would have received from the boss indoors would have been unbarable if i brought a bike home that brook down before i had even rode it
Old 19-Dec-2009, 02:09
Montjuic

So is the bke sorted now.

Ive noticed mine is a little harder to start now temps are very cold but this is because im running surface discharge plugs.

Rick warned me at JHP that they are a little harder to start with these when cold but a few turns and it fires into life.

I used to be able to start my SPS on fast idle but i have recently had sprag,flywheel and gear swapped for new and now no chance.If i try and start on fast idle SPS just spits and laughs at me.I put fast idle on,switch on ignition,switch fast idle off after fuel pump finishes and hit starter.Works for me.