Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Jun-2003, 10:01
Mille

ROCKER WEAR 916 BIPOSTO

My old 916 is in for service at 26000 miles thrashed bashed and generally abused, I specifiacly asked Mike to pull the cams and check the rockers as Annettes sps needed 2 even though the engine was rebuilt 18 months ago. Only one shim needed changing the cams and rockers were perfect!! I do service it at the specified intervals but to have no wear on the cams and rockers, perfect compresion etc defies all the recent posts on this and many US sites. Can anyone (shazzam) explain, I am not complaining, But perhaps the fact the bike is used regulaly even though it is a spare could be a contributory factor. Now to get the bodywork repaired and it will look as well as run like new.

stunned and better off than expected

dave::
Old 19-Jun-2003, 10:31

Dont ask mate. Its pretty **** really, shouldnt wear out at all, at least not at these mileages.

Why dont you stick up you oil choice and change interval and any other service stuff you feel may be relevent your obviously doing something right.

Kev
Old 19-Jun-2003, 10:42
Big Twin

Apparently ducati switched sources in 97 I think, thats why 888s and early 748/916s dont seem to get affected by rocker flaking
Old 19-Jun-2003, 10:54
Mille

Bike serviced at 6000 mile or 1 year intervals whichever is sooner (and I always change the cam belts). Oil is as installed at the dealers only had to top it up once in 5 years between services. Bike was used daily now used twice a week, always run it for a minuite or so whilst putting on gloves etc before riding off.

I think that even synthetic oils can only cling to camshafts etc for a limited period of time and many bikes are not used often enough and the oil film fails on start up. sigma performance have a very interesting article on the oil supply to the rear head on 4 valve engines on their web site.

dave