Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Nov-2004, 20:37

749 Servicing

Your opinions please:

I have a 749 bip 1st registered in Jan 03 it's had two services, the 1000km and 12months. I believe it's now due another one at 24 months, but it has only covered 900miles (pitiful I know, but I am away a lot). As I understand it the next one is a biggie with a belt change. Do I need this, and how much should I expect to pay?

Also can I or should I bother to extend the warranty?
Old 23-Nov-2004, 20:42
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
600-650 quid. my 999 is going in at the weekend.

others will tell you for sure but i dont know if you really need the belts doing, its not even run in yet shame on you
Old 23-Nov-2004, 20:48
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
Hi Dickie,

Where r u taking it ?
Old 23-Nov-2004, 20:52
BSB Star

jhp on saturday. got to run out now. i'll call you tomorrow.
Old 23-Nov-2004, 20:56
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
That will be a nice drive, especially with the hangover that you'll have from Friday
Old 24-Nov-2004, 20:05

Serviciing

Forgive me for commenting but I have just acquired a gleaming red 749 Ducati having had a CBR600RR before - it' a great bike and I'll look after it but ... I've been reading posts on the board for a wek or two and hadno intention of registereing but could'nt help responding to this one .... £650 for a service on a bike that has only done 900 miles and has already been serviced once already - surely not ? I know these things are delicate and need TLC but I have no intention of spending that sort of money just to keep the thing on the road - a regular oil change which I can do myself and a service by a competent mechanic (not necessarily a Ducati dealer) is what I intend to do to keep my baby in tip top shape.....
or is there something that I don't know ?
Old 24-Nov-2004, 23:04
BSB Star

first off, welcome aboard. if you look regularly im sure you'll think its worth posting every now and then and maybe joining up to get involved with some of our trackdays and other activities.

the big thing about ducati's is that they need the belts changing every 2 years or something like 12k miles. this is hugely important to protect the engine and really is a false economy to avoid it. in this case as it has hardly been used it may not be necessary. the 2 year service is a big one and to be honest its probably worth getting it done by an official dealer as if anything needs to be done under waranty it makes it nice and simple.

hope you keep looking on here and decide to join up it really is well worth the dosh.
Old 24-Nov-2004, 23:17
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Is there not a school of thought to suggest that as its been standing, and in relation to the belts as they have being sat in the same position obviously for long periods, it may still be worth changing them as they can become somewhat brittle!
Old 25-Nov-2004, 05:17
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Is there not a school of thought to suggest that as its been standing, and in relation to the belts as they have being sat in the same position obviously for long periods, it may still be worth changing them as they can become somewhat brittle!

Exactly!
That is why Ducati servicing is now mileage and/or time dependant.ie,600 miles or 6 months,6,000 miles or 12 months,etc,etc.(According to the warranty book)
It does'nt matter if you have done 900 miles or 9,000,if the bike is a year old,it needs a service to satisfy the warranty schedule.
BTW,On lower mileage bikes,some dealers will just do an interim service.My 999 is two years old with 7k on the clock and the last service it had was a 12 month/6,000 miler with a belt change.
Old 25-Nov-2004, 08:54
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Straniero
or is there something that I don't know ?

"Spanner light" flashes at 50 miles before service due then remains lit until reset by Ducati dealer.

Don't know how old your 749 is, but there's also the issue of warranty, and if you read a couple of the other threads on this board I'd say that was more of an issue than saving a few pounds, but then again, are we paying for the warranty with elevated servicing costs?