Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Oct-2005, 15:08
Mille

power commander

Is it worth fitting a power commander to my stock 738 BP ? If so is it a case of just buying it and plugging it in or does it need to also be dyno'd ?
Old 22-Oct-2005, 19:32
Montjuic

Mood: The Wah rock so hard!!
Hi flanagaj, i've no personal experiance of power commanders, but i've been considering one myself. I've been told by my local ducati shop that a chip (eprom) is better (as good!?!) but a hell of alot cheaper! though it 'll probably need setting up!
A power commander can be set up using downloaded maps. But i was also told buy a different place that its best to do a dyno run to get it perfect, cos no two bikes are the same. they also told me that a power commander is loads better than a chip!!
What do ya do??

Hopefully someone with the knoledge will help us!! i also have a 748bp!
I've had the baffles taken out of my cans, i'm sure you'll be advised to get some open pipes before you get ya bike chipped!!
Old 22-Oct-2005, 22:44
Mille

Supergray, Have you removed the baffles from your stock cans ? If so, they must be very loud.
Old 22-Oct-2005, 23:32
Big Twin

You should have a read of my thread about 749 with Power Commander 3, just recently fitted.

PC3 fitted to 749

Bottom line is I had it set up on a dyno and it wasn't very good. Subsequent tweaking on the dyno didn't help it. Ended up using the map supplied for the asymetric Termi and it seems fine on the limited test I did today. The advantages I found of the PC3 over the Ducati ECU that came with the Termi was that it the throttle seems now much more responsive. Small changes in throttle position can be felt so it feels much better to ride. Might be wrong, or wishful thinking on my part, but that is how it seems.

You ought to check that there is a map to suit your bike/exhaust though otherwise setting up on a dyno will be the only option.

Ducati maps
Old 23-Oct-2005, 12:01
Montjuic

Yeah i have, though i would say that they aren't as loud as a set of race pipes! maybe the bloke left some in? all i do know is that he has put an open pipe right through the silencers to meet up with the main pipe, its plenty loud enough when humming along, yet when pulled up it ticks over quite quietly. and the old bill asume they're standard cos of the markings!
I've also had the pipes polished and i think they look cool!

I might take a picture of me bike to show you, but i've no idea how to put it on here!?!
Old 23-Oct-2005, 22:20
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by supergray
I might take a picture of me bike to show you, but i've no idea how to put it on here!?!

Yes please, I'd like to see the polished cans. I naughtily fitted a single line plate above the cans today, with the indis on either side of the plate. I know I risking a fine but it does look cool. Polished cans would make it look even better.

To add an attachment just click the browse button next to the attachment label when posting / replying
Old 27-Oct-2005, 14:28
Montjuic

my bikes at the garage again head stock trouble so no photo for a while. soon as i can i'll stick one up!
Old 27-Oct-2005, 16:16
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Are all the maps free downloads? I know it's easy to download but do you have to pay for an unlock key?
Old 27-Oct-2005, 16:29
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Quote:
Originally posted by HW

You ought to check that there is a map to suit your bike/exhaust though otherwise setting up on a dyno will be the only option.

Ducati maps

Am I going blind or is there no map for a 2002 900ss? Why would that be?
Old 27-Oct-2005, 16:40
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Originally posted by phillc
Quote:
Originally posted by HW

Ducati maps

Am I going blind or is there no map for a 2002 900ss? Why would that be?

It may be because Ducati changed the ecu that year and noone has got round to giving a map to dynojet.
It doesnt mean that noone has a map tho - contact pdq developments (the importer) if you need advice.