Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Oct-2005, 12:30
Big Twin

996R tyre choice?

My 996r has Diablo Corsas on at the moment, the front is ok but the rear is worn out. At the moment it has a 190 on the rear and I am thinking of changing to a 180? I have raised the rear of the bike a little to quicken the steering but it still feels slow to turn (compared to my Multistrada) I know I changed to a 180 a few years ago with my 996s and that quickened the steering up a lot.

I had read on here that it was not a good idea to put a 180 on the (wider?) rim wheel fitted to the 996r. I have had my steel rule out and the rim on the 996 seems to be the same width as the rim on the multistrada (which has a 180 rear)

I have searched through the archives and cant seem to find a definitive answer.

Also as I am intending using the bike when I can over the next few months (dry days no salt etc) would I be better of fitting a normal Diablo instead of the Corsa? I have heard the standard Diablo is a better tyre in cooler/damper conditions.
Old 26-Oct-2005, 13:19
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Martin my R has a 5.5 inch rim as standard, and thats the size my manual specifies as well.

I have gone to a 180 as well, much better.

Have run standard Diablo's and corsa's.

Standard diablos are fine for road use (and i think the DD boys use the standard ones for racing as well i believe).

I only put corsa's on for Cadwell and Rocky, as the standard ones were worn out.

N.B. i have 2 full turns extra on the ride height as well.

Yes they should work better in the cold as well.

[Edited on 26-10-2005 by BDG]
Old 26-Oct-2005, 17:49
Big Twin

Cheers Shaun, I have ordered a 180 standard Diablo. Like you I have 2 extra turns on the ride height which improved things a lot but I think the 180 will get it just right as it did on my 996S. I have Diablos on the Multistrada and cannot fault them wet or dry.

Paid £100 all in for the 180 Diablo including vat/fitting/balancing, seems a good price?