Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Mar-2005, 02:55
Montjuic

748 Fairing Changes?

Hi,

I'm going to be buying a 748 in the next couple of months and am wondering if there have been any changes to fairings on the 748BPs during their production and if so what?

It's my first bike and it needs to be a BP as I'm sure it'll be plenty fast enough and insurance is quite a lot cheaper.

I've read an excellent buyers guide on the site but as there isn't much in it when it comes to prices and years.

I think I've seen a couple of slightly different fairings but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Wes
Old 27-Mar-2005, 03:08
Big Twin

Virtually nothings changed, only one change from what I remember.which was quite late on it its run, around 2001 I think, in line with the SP being replaced by the R. (996R's possibly had them fitted first...)

Only the side panels are different (less vents, fuse access, all looks a lot smoother) and they're interchangeable with earlier bikes.

Decals changed about 99 though the panels remained the same. (Earlier ones look best in my opinion)

I have a 97 748 BP It's very special

http://www.chathamclose.com/pics/moto.jpg

Later style fairing

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread...8&pid=159 710

[Edited on 27-3-2005 by Mr_S]
Old 27-Mar-2005, 03:58
Big Twin

Yes, only the very latest bikes (2002 on?) had different fairing panels, with fewer vents, and the "chicken-mesh" vent on the rear edge. Mine's a 2001 MY bike, and has the "old" shape. I think the way the sound-proofing rubber panel on the inside was fitted has changed a bit over the years, but the actual panels themselves are all the same.
Old 27-Mar-2005, 13:29
Montjuic

Thanks guys thats perfect. I had seen a couple of pics of the late ones and had noticed a couple of differences so that clears everything up perfectly.

Cheers!
Old 27-Mar-2005, 18:55
Mille

Wes,
Only other slight change was the later bikes - post '99 (without the dreaded flip up prop stand!) have a slightly larger hole around the stand to clear the cut out switch linked to the stand. So the earlier panels won't fit the later bikes without being modded slightly.
Regards, Pete