Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Jan-2009, 13:46
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Sorry to hear about your off. I can sympathise as I crashed my Hornet 900 at 55mph in the wet. Lost the front and went sliding down the road.

Ached for days and nice purple bruising fromt he left elbow down.

Anyway back to what I was going to say, are you sure you didn't miss a gear? From your description of the slipper clutch it doesn't sound right.

My 748r always had tremendous engine braking, I was expecting you to say you lost it on the throttle not off it, as mine was very agressive on the throttle.

Hope you and the bike get fixed soon.

Rich
Old 28-Jan-2009, 20:34
500SD

Mood: a ducati is for life not just for christmas
Thumbs up

well my friend it could have been worse...You can replace your bike not so yourself.ALL THE BEST
Old 07-Feb-2009, 23:28
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 748IOM
Anyway back to what I was going to say, are you sure you didn't miss a gear? From your description of the slipper clutch it doesn't sound right.

My 748r always had tremendous engine braking, I was expecting you to say you lost it on the throttle not off it, as mine was very agressive on the throttle.

Yes, sort of. As I alluded to in the orginal description of the accident, the rearsets were not adjusted correctly. The gear lever was miles out and it made gear changing really awkward with the result that I went into the bend a gear higher than I should have.

DAMAGE UPDATE FROM MD (In addition to the damage already noted in my other posts)

Frame true and undamaged. Phew!

Ohlins forks true and undamaged apart from one caliper carrier on the fork bottom being slightly bent (can be remedied with a spacer). Phew!

Warped disc (1.2mm out - may have pre-exisited the accident)

Front wheel spindle bent.

Front wheel trueness to be assessed.
Old 08-Feb-2009, 00:11
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhed44
Front wheel spindle bent.

Nothing unusual there

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 08-Feb-2009, 00:16
Mille

the disc can be straightend aswell, all you need is a dti guage and something to spin the disk on (best to keep it on the wheel), (im assuming you have done this as you know how far out the disk is, then gently tap it with a RUBBER hammer, and it should slowly come back true, i have dont this many times with absolutly no problems, just check the carrier isn't cracked BEFORE the use of the hammer but this is very rare.

Adam
Old 27-Feb-2009, 23:38
500SD

27/02/09

UPDATE

I spoke to Hagon today and they have managed to straighten the wheel and both the discs, although they said the wheel was an absolute swine to repair and it looked touch and go more than a few times.

Now I just need to order a RHS Ohlins fork bottom and then in the process of fitting this, Mike will strip the forks to check for any internal damage.

Fingers crossed, the bike should be roadworthy within the next couple of weeks.

The cosmetics will have to come later, although I've started gathering the necessary bits as and when a bargain turns up. I recently landed one such item on eBay - a yellow 2001 RHS mid fairing (I was intending to retro fit early type panels anyway), repaired and then professionally restickered and resprayed. I can't see where it has been repaired, it looks mint. The auction ended at a really daft time (1am IIRC) and I'd even forgotten that I'd placed a bid days beforehand, so I was really pleased to receive an email the next morning asking me to pay an invoice for, wait for it, £2.99 + P&P.

Last edited by zhed44 : 27-Feb-2009 at 23:44.
Old 27-Feb-2009, 23:52
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting at the Crossroads......
Have another look on e-bay, there's quite a few Yellow panels at the moment. Glad you're OK and the 748R will soon be up and running again !
Old 28-Feb-2009, 14:21
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

glad your all right and as others have said the bike can be fixed and gear replaced so its your pride thats left.

I was tempted to say at least its yellow so the replacement panels will be cheaper but thats just a cheap shot.

Hopefully you will find everything soon.
Old 01-Mar-2009, 21:59
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Boy
Have another look on e-bay, there's quite a few Yellow panels at the moment. Glad you're OK and the 748R will soon be up and running again !

I have a "748 fairing" new ebay items email notification, but nothing especially cheap apart from my £2.99 panel has come up recently. Having said that, I haven't been searching very hard because the front end looked quite poorly and I didn't want to spend money on plastics, but then struggle to afford to replace, for example, a bent fork.
Old 01-May-2009, 17:29
500SD

Thumbs up The Supersonic Canary flies again!

I got the bike back today. All mechanical repairs done.

Ohlins fork bottom

Front wheel spindle

Front tyre (SH)

Straighten and weld front wheel and straighten both discs

Strip all front end chassis and suspension and check for damage

Strip RHS fork and assess for internal damage

Test ride

Total: about £1000. Cosmetic damage still to be priced/repaired

But by God it's good to be back on a Ducati again, although my wrists and shoulders are a bit sore!