Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Oct-2004, 12:15
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Desmo Due 2005 Q & A

Folks,

Having had some long conversations with Monty over the last few days, we have thought it best to start a new thread which is only to be used for questions and answers for the rules, etc and not for general debate, please use the existing thread.

We will accordingly respond to questions posed on this thread with our thoughts and allow discussion on the existing thread.

Chris
Old 11-Oct-2004, 12:22
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
can i just ask are the rules that are laid out already definitely the ones that the series is going ahead with or are they still up for change/amendment?
Old 11-Oct-2004, 12:32
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Ok to start with some of the items that have already been raised.

1) Eligable bikes

The primary requirement is for us to acheive at least 25 bikes to take to a grid. At the moment if the majority of entrants wish to use only 583cc carbed models, then we dont have a problem. As long as we acheive our numbers

If we need to include 620cc fuel injected ones to make up numbers, then we need to allow the 583cc ones to have a big-bore kit or run two classes. I will be able to confirm the two classes within the grid once we have seen the ACU at end of the month.

2) Frame mods

Per CK's post, I see no reason why a Monster with a tail chop couldn't be allowed on the grid. However that would be the only surgery to a frame that would be allowed. The minimum weight limit stays in force.

The reasoning behind this was to allow people to keep them stock, so they can be returned to road spec and sold if required. We do not want to devalue the reasale for the odd 10th of a second on lap times.

3) Tyres

If the people who are entering are happy to go with a choice of say a couple of tyres (make, pattern & sizes), which we know will keep costs down, then I see no reason to not implement it.

4) Brakes

It is suggested that we tighten the rules on brakes, to state that only the original spec master cylinder, rotors and calipers can be used. A 2nd disc and caliper can be added to single front applications, as it was originally an option.

Braided lines can be fitted.
Old 11-Oct-2004, 12:40
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
1. Will the series run on its own on the track or be combined with another series?

2. Assuming that the bike's mechanical running costs would be a total of £2K-£2.5K including tyres, fuel, etc and costs for transporting the bike etc, what additional costs would be incurred? ie, approx how much for race entries, ACU licence, any other external costs? Any hidden charges?

3. What are your timescales for making a decision on whether the series will run or not? How many people are required and by when? I realise there is an initial end of Oct deadline, but this is presumably just to measure intial interest and judge the viability? How many entries are ultimately required?

Tim
Old 11-Oct-2004, 12:51
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

With regard to the rules, these have been submitted to the New Era/ACU for general approval.

As such we can make some of the changes that I have outlined above, without changing the nature of the series.

The aim is any fine tuning is to cut cost or make the racing closer, rather than any fundamental changes
Old 11-Oct-2004, 12:56
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Tim,

The aim is most definately that we have our own grid, without having to mix with others we dont knw. This will be down to teh numbers that we can get on the grid, hence the 25 minimum.

Race entries should be no more that £130 per day and there should be no additional costs and certainly no hidden cost.

We need to be in a position to make a decision on go/no-go at the end of October and at the latest by the NEC. Realistically we need to have 25 deposits to be able to comit without incurring a massive exposure for the Club in terms of financial support.

As I understand it the maximum number that we can run is 36 on a grid.

Given the level of interest shown, I think that we have a go situation at this time.
Old 11-Oct-2004, 13:34
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBushell
4) Brakes

It is suggested that we tighten the rules on brakes, to state that only the original spec master cylinder, rotors and calipers can be used. A 2nd disc and caliper can be added to single front applications, as it was originally an option.

Braided lines can be fitted.

Why tighten this rule, some 600ss only have a single disc fitment (no lugs on the other leg) and a improvement could be done to the braking by using other standard Ducati parts.
Can the rule not allow the use of any OEM Ducati part. A double disc upgrade on a a original Spec master cylinder for a single disc model may not be a sensible move.
Old 11-Oct-2004, 16:05
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Can we see a head count so far, preferably with definites and maybes !
Old 11-Oct-2004, 16:13
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
License Regs?

It states in the rules about restircint entries to people who have held a UK license for over two years. Now, I glossed over this thinking that if I could get an ACU license it would be cool. Perhaps I was too hasty in being the first entrant in the series.

I have held a motorcycle license in Aus for just over 10 years (since I was 18) but I've only recently changed it over for a UK one. I got it at the start of Sep.

I know that Phill (phillc that is) is also considering the series and is in the same boat as me.

Chris/MT, can we get this cleared up to understand whether we can race in this series or not?

Thanks.

TP

[Edited on 11-10-2004 by tp-996]
Old 11-Oct-2004, 16:50
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

With regard to the brakes, I am only making that change as a suggestion, I cerainly would rather stay with the current arrangements, which means yes you can have the newer calipers (04s I think) but you cant have radial, etc.

The licence thing will not apply to you Tony as your Australian years count. The only people this affects is those under 20 of which I do not expect many.