Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-May-2009, 01:53
Montjuic

For solo Rider + Luggage it says 2.1 bar F 2.8bar R without checking that's how l got to 32F 34 R .....(QUOTE)

I'm wondering if the front feels skittish due to the ride height, not the tyre pressure.
By the way, you need to look at your figures again - 2.8 bar equates to 40.611 psi (at sea level just to be pedantic).
Regards,
Mike
Old 18-May-2009, 20:06
Montjuic

Mood: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc31@york.ac.uk
For solo Rider + Luggage it says 2.1 bar F 2.8bar R without checking that's how l got to 32F 34 R .....(QUOTE)

I'm wondering if the front feels skittish due to the ride height, not the tyre pressure.
By the way, you need to look at your figures again - 2.8 bar equates to 40.611 psi (at sea level just to be pedantic).
Regards,
Mike

Yes l can't wait for my linkage to come back, so l can play with the settings, l assume when l lower the rear wheel this will put more weight on the front wheel, so l will then need to play with the tyre pressures as well

Will let you know how l get on
Old 18-May-2009, 22:31
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
It doesn't affect the weight, it affects the head angle.
Old 19-May-2009, 15:08
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Only just seen this post as I have been away.
Ride height-as stated by Nelly, rear tyre just kissing the ground when on the stand works for me, the bike will tip in much more easily and you won't need so much bar pressure or lean off to make it turn. I always run 34F 36R pressures-but it's a personal thing tyre pressure, some like them harder some softer. No way does an ST need a steering damper, I have had my '4S from May 2001-it was one of the first delivery-and have done 34,000 miles on it, lots of which have been 2 up with full luggage. It has been to the foot of Italy, and the Arctic Circle, been round the Nurburgring, and used for instructing on our trackday-basically a brilliant bike.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST4S01.jpg (321.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ST4S avatar.jpg (13.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ST's Hell.jpg (305.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ST's snow.jpg (319.1 KB, 16 views)

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 22-May-2009, 21:15
Montjuic

Update, striped the alloy thread trying to get the ends out of the alloy linkage rod, 10 day wait for the part £30.00 for the alloy rod, the steel ends are Ok, but if l needed them, they would be £120 each end

So bikeless for the bank holiday weekend, and the weather looks good

Hope l am all sorted for Cadwell Park
Old 22-May-2009, 22:43
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo
the steel ends are Ok, but if l needed them, they would be £120 each end

Eh!!! They're only rose joints

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/RO...529/index.html

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 30-May-2009, 19:01
Montjuic

No parts available at the moment so put the old strut back on, l use PTF tape as there still just seems enough thread left, but would not be that confident if using it at Cadwell especially if the rear leaves the ground
So l hope the new one gets to me before then.
Yes it does speed up the turn in, but it felt stiff at the rear end so wound the the preload out 2 clicks,now not too bad, but it pitch's a bit over bumps, so l have email MD Racing to get it set up properly for Cadwell

Also need some new tyres, any good deals about looking for BT016's or perelli Corsa 3, or consider something else if there very cheap
Old 01-Jun-2009, 14:16
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
I know its a personal thing but when i had my st4s to go to WDW2007 on i bought Bridgestones at the fitters recomend.
Never again, they really did not suit the combination of the bike and/or me. Wore out quickly, didn't like the cold in switzerland and generally were not a patch on 208rr's. Yes i know they are not meant to be touring tyres but waaay better then These.

I seriously wish i had not sold the ST either , big mistake.
Old 01-Jun-2009, 22:26
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I don't bother with corsas, diablo stradas will do everything I can throw at the bike, and last longer too.
I always use a BT020/021 on the front though.

Steer clear of Avons, they don't last very well on Ducatis.
Old 04-Jun-2009, 23:49
Big Twin

My ST4s has the wheel well off the ground when on centre stand and I don't have problems turning in. You just have to apply the quickturning techniques. The instructor at CSS was actually telling me to calm down the quick turns at last CSS.

I have to say that I would not quite know what to move to as everyday bike. I have now clocked 33,000 (catching you up Monty) and it does everything that I can throw at it. City commute, distance commute, ride out and as the 998 is not ready took her on CSS day and was well impressed. Felt everyway like a Ducati and was creaming quite a few race bikes through the day. The instructor even said at the end of the day that I was doing very well with a bike like "that". Told him that he would be surprised how good it was.

Re mods-
- I fitted a Odyssey battery. Great one and no issue with cranking the engine no more... but need to hack the battery tray and need to reposition the ECU.
- You want to put some silicone in loom going to ECU as water runs down the sleeves and rots the cable at the bottom.
- I have put some 4 pads calipers at the front. Great but need to be regularly cleaned up.
- I ran some 6 piston PFMs for a while. Awesome brakes IMO, I rate them as good as the Brembo GP stuff that I have on the track bike but too harsh for the road.
- I have tried to put 999 master cyls - forget about it. After much swearing in multiple languages I gave up. The lines bolt underneath and that conflicts with the switch gear and throttle. Trying to pivot those slightly is a mess, controls are out of place and still you have to force things in. Pivotting throttle cable 180 degres also means it becomes too short. So you'll have to fit entirely different switch gears and throttle if you wanted to go that way and the stuff from other bikes is not a straight replacement.
I'll probably fit some Pazzo racing levers, that will do.
- I will invest some day in repainting all the cases and various covers as they took some beating from the elements
- I am thinking about Samco hoses as the OEM ones are looking bad
- I am thinking about 996 Rad (ally) as the standard is looking bad, but fittings are different
- I am also wondering if 999 wheels would fit and would look good? Anybody knows?
- Thinking of ohlins forks or changing the bottoms on the Showas as they are pitted. Nice billet radials exist but then would mean changing the calipers
- Thinking about a weight loss exercise, notably on fairing panels. Thinking of trying to make nice carbon ones myself and converting the stupid fairing rubber mounts to quick release. I have not found the time to work on this yet.
- Somebody Ducman I think does some nice billet rear sets. Tempting but quite like the comfort of the standard ones.
- I will invest in some better chain adjustment indicators from Desmotime some day
- I have changed the front speedle for a billet one from Cepeedee (ebay) nice stuff but ally bolt slightly too big. I would love to find a billet rear wheel spindle too as the current one looks well rusty.

I won't play with the engine on this bike. It is more than enough for what I do with her and fingers crossed, it has not eaten any rockers so far.

Cheers
p

Last edited by pguenet : 04-Jun-2009 at 23:55.