Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Jun-2004, 06:26
Montjuic

Mood: picture crazy
vibration whilst braking (don\'t think it\'s warped disk)

so, i get this weird vibration here and there. the vibration is similar to a violin type vibration- i.e. high frequency, but low tone.....sorta feels like the pad is skipping on the disk.

i don't think it's a warped disk since it doesn't happen all the time, and since it's not a pulsating feeling...it's like taking a rubber brick, placing it flat on a surface, and trying to drag it across - it'll skip in order to move right?

same type of noise. feeling.

it happens

1. if i just grab the brake- i.e. if i'm not paying attention, and i'm at a crawl, and have to brake to stop...

2. (sometimes) if i get on brakes, then progressively pull harder, at a certain point, i'll get that feeling...then again at other times, it's fine....

i checked calipers/mounting bolts etc, and everything seems in order. could it be a characteristic of the semi floating disks?

like i said, it def. feels as though the pad is not properly seated at times, and thus skips on the disk whilst brakes are applied. any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-Jun-2004, 10:57

Has it happened since you've had the bike or only just started?
My thoughts would be that the pads have been used a bit too hard too early in their life and have kind of glazed over. Try taking a thin layer off the pads with a bit of sand paper...
Hopefully it's just something minor...
Good luck!
Old 08-Jun-2004, 11:08
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Sounds very much like glazed pads. Take the pads out and rub them down on a sheet of wet 'n dry paper. Take a pad of scotch brite or similar and give the rotor a good rub down.
Old 08-Jun-2004, 23:19
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Wheel bearings?

Had something similar after a long day in the saddle of my SS 2 years ago, ended up being a duff bearing on one side of the wheel.
Old 09-Jun-2004, 18:26

Mine do the same thing, and seem worse in the wet (or after rain).
On slow speed in the damp, the shake is pretty irritating, and makes the whole front end shudder. Maybe it's the head bearing?

E
Old 10-Jun-2004, 16:21

Hi

mine seemed to do exactly same thing. It seemed to resonate. After washing it, or in the wet, it seemed to happen more.

It seems to have since stopped (I've ridden it quite a lot recently, using the brake harder than usual now the tyres can get a little warmer). Maybe it was just glazed pads, as others have suggested.

However, maybe coincidentally, I've noticed some movement in the headset. (there seemed to be an almost 'knocking' sound coming through the bars - different to the braking vibrations). I got a friend to pivot the bike onto the back wheel and side stand, lifting the front wheel slightly into the air, and there was indeed a little play. The noise I could here when driving it sounded like it was coming from the forks, but checking it more it seems not.

Got it booked into the dealer early July for them to take a look under warranty (already took it in for them to check it quickly, and they agreed there is a little movement, and a weird knocking)

I've got the bike a little longer before it goes in, so I'm going to still ride it, and see if the brakes noise comes back.

I take it the breaks still work well? If not, definately get it down to the dealer...
Old 13-Jun-2004, 00:51
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
You should have a look on multistrada.net for brake judder problems,they`ve had no end! With no real cure insight.Mine had a judder,so I done the usual checks of glazed pads,warped discs,tyre pressures etc,even chamfered the leading edge of the pads but to no avail.On the Multistrada it shook the whole bike but didn`t pump the lever,seemed to happen when I was trailing the brakes into a roundabout or similar type conditions.But didn`t happen all the time,strange..........