Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-May-2009, 17:45
DSC Club Member
Bikes: Duc 916, Honda CBR900RR x 2, Yamaha RD350, KTM 450 EXC, BMW R1200GS TE, Honda CB250RS, Vespa ET4 125

916 starting problem. Any help appreciated.

I've just tried to start my 916 after it's been sat in the garage for a month and the starter button won't start it. It's always been OK but today the button isn't starting it. The battery is fully charged. All fuses are OK. I've checked for power at the starter button. There's 12V at the input side and when I press it there's 12V coming through it. There's no power getting to the starter solenoid though. The solenoid is fine as I've fed 12V to it and the bike starts and runs fine and I've been out on it. Somewhere between the starter button and the starter solenoid there's a problem. The wires from the starter disappear into the wiring loom and therefore I can't trace them without help from elsewhere. Is there a common fault here? Could anyone suggest where to look next as otherwise it'll be away to a dealers at some expense no doubt.
Thanks in advance.

Clive E.
Old 30-May-2009, 19:46
Montjuic

Mood: sometimes
I know as l have done it, have you check the kill switch? or is the side stand down?
Just a thought.
Old 30-May-2009, 19:55
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
common fault is the poor fit of the two pin connector in the rear of the starter solinoid, just to the right of the battery, if the connector hasn't popped out just try giving it at wiggle while pressing the start button
Old 30-May-2009, 21:17
DSC Club Member
Bikes: Duc 916, Honda CBR900RR x 2, Yamaha RD350, KTM 450 EXC, BMW R1200GS TE, Honda CB250RS, Vespa ET4 125

Thanks so far fellas.
The kill switch works fine and the the side stand has no safety switch on it. The connections at the solenoid are OK. No power arrives at the block connector when I press the starter button. Somewhere between the starter button and the block connector at the solenoid is where the problem is.
Any more suggestions as to what to look for still appreciated.

Cheers,

Clive E.
Old 31-May-2009, 01:20
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Maybe the contacts in the start button are oxidised or badly arced, stripping it and cleaning it may cure the problem

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook