Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Dec-2006, 12:18
GTL

Mood: Annoyed and confused
1997 st2 what should i look for

Hello

Going to have a look at an st2 its a bit battered but is cheap enough.

What should i be looking at on it.

Oh and what are the service intervals on it? Does it have the rocker issues.
Old 14-Dec-2006, 12:32
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
The usual stuff for all bikes of a certain age. You say it's battered, not so bad if that's cosmetic, but it could also indicate that the owner doesn't care a whole lot.

So...Tyre condition, wheel bearings, brake caliper, pad wear and disc condition, headstock bearings, swingarm bearings, fork seals, suspension damping & condition front and rear, oil change interval, battery condition, servicing and consumable bills etc...

Duke specific stuff is obviously when the cam belts were last changed, whether the bike has been stood or regularly ridden. If the bike has been regularly ridden then the belts should be OK if they are less than 12K miles or two years old - if it's been standing then the belts might need changing, best to give them a visual inspection and check tension if you can.

Shouldn't have rocker issues, since that particular bogey doesn't seem to affect two valvers much (not saying it's impossible mind)

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 14-Dec-2006, 13:06
GTL

Mood: Annoyed and confused
Well it's done 21,000 and seems to have suffered from living on the street in london.

Is the engine the same as the paso ie or the 916?

But are there any thing inherant to look for.

I'll probably go and kick tyres if I can be arsed fancy trying a faired bike.
Old 15-Dec-2006, 08:31
Montjuic

You can take a multi-meter and check the output from the regulator/rectifier as they are prone to failure - ecpecially the early ones. They don't always completely fail - they will give out some voltage but not as much as they should.

Simply put the meter across the battery terminals and start it up (although this means taking the right fairing upper off - sorry). The voltage should be around 12.4 at 2000 rpm and should rise to 13.6 at 5000 rpm. (I think I've remembered the figures correctly - everbody feel free to correct me).

If you're even half a volt down, then it's partially fried and you may be left stranded half way through a ride. They are pricey to replace - around £150 + VAT plus fitting although they are very easy to fit yourself (nose fairing off again - sorry).

Also make sure that the temperature read out is working fine on the dashboard and that the fan comes on when it's left running to get hot.
Both these functions are governed by temp sensors - one on each cylinder - and these also can get a bit ropey when old. And they are around £50 each.

On top of that, just make sure all other electrical functions work - Italian wiring & connectors are still made out of a sawdust and pigeon **** composite and are bloody awful.

Other than that, it's a great and under-rated bike as long as it's not been abused. Good luck and let us know how you get on.