Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Jun-2004, 10:44
Big Twin

749 R comfort?

Unfortunately I had to part with my 999S last year for various reasons and had no bike until 3 months ago when i bought a Honda CBR600RR as a stopgap until i could get back on a Ducati.

I have had numerous Ducatis in the past and i know that they are not exactly the last word in comfort but this Honda is way uncomfortable for me.

The seat is like a block of wood and my legs are really sore and aching after being on the bike as the pegs seem to be set really high although the bike itself is really nice to ride and handles brilliantly.

I have been looking at a 749R and was wondering what the comfort is like as with the tank being a lot taller is it a strain to reach the bars and if my memory recollects i think the pegs are a lot more adjustable for comfort.

Is everyone who has the 749R happy with it and has the clutch problems been sorted.
Old 07-Jun-2004, 12:35
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
The tank is not a problem for me when reaching for the bars , people with a pie problem may feel otherwise

The footrests only have two position like the 999R , high and higher , again at 5' - 6" this is not a problem for me

If you want a comfy bike , buy a Goldwing , I did a 600 plus mile day on a 999S last year so I think the R is not going to be a problem.

The clutch still does the "silent" thing sometimes , a blip of the throttle with the clutch out stops the slipping and sorts it out , it only happens when going slow at low revs , I am still waiting to hear if Ducati UK are going to do anything about it.

The bike is fantastic though and would reccomend one to anyone , if you can find one for sale that is , I think they are selling very quickly
Old 07-Jun-2004, 14:05
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Smart looking bikes.

Just found the 749s saddle was too narrow at the front for me, cut into the back of my thighs, and my "sit bones" must be a funny shape (Quiet at the back!) cos I found I was sitting on the edge of them and just couldnt get comfy! If you're used to the 999 tho' you shouldnt have any problems with the R.
Old 07-Jun-2004, 14:09
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I wouldn't have thought you could mention any of the 'Hypersport' or 'Superbike' range in the same sentence as comfort and be taken seriously really.

Not without visiting one of the aftermarket catalogs at least ...

I live with my 996 because I just love it to death, but I would never accuse it of being comfortable
Old 07-Jun-2004, 14:22
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Ducati comfort - oxymoron!!!
Old 07-Jun-2004, 18:25
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Ducati comfort - oxymoron!!!

"comfort" buy a tourer
Old 07-Jun-2004, 22:34
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel C

"comfort" buy a tourer

What? Like a 748? :P
Old 08-Jun-2004, 00:16
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by psychlist
Just found the 749s saddle was too narrow at the front for me, cut into the back of my thighs, and my "sit bones" must be a funny shape (Quiet at the back!) cos I found I was sitting on the edge of them and just couldnt get comfy! If you're used to the 999 tho' you shouldnt have any problems with the R.

What were you doing sitting at the front of the seat?The best place to park your bum is at the rear of the seat where its wider.(Twice as wide as a 996!)
I did nearly 300 miles up to Yorkshire this weekend and the only aches I had was through the footrests.Nowt to do with the bike,just my worn out Sidi's.Compare that to Jools report of the same rideout,and he was riding a sports tourer!
Perhaps I'm a funny shape!(Dont answer that!)
Iang,
Dont forget the seat/tank is also adjustable to bring you nearer the 'bars.Go for it.
Old 08-Jun-2004, 22:11
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB
The best place to park your bum is at the rear of the seat where its wider.(Twice as wide as a 996!)

:P Wouldn't disagree with you Keith, if I was ten foot tall with six foot arms but seeing as I was a mere 5' 10" my arms were not long enough to get me bum back that far! I'm only a "shorty" 5' 8" now so would be even worse The padding on the 998 seems MUCH thicker too?
Old 08-Jun-2004, 22:18
500SD

Mood: head down
ive got the "comfort" seat for the road on my 999s , i can report that my a§§e is sutably suported