Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jun-2003, 18:28
Bevel Head
Bikes: ST2, 750ss, 350 Forza, W650, CB250RS, 5x Royal Enfields

Mood: Nesun Dorma
Alternative drives

Talking to a guy here today who raised the subject of the ST4 Cardan (thats what they call them here) the proposed ST shaftie, He says it wont be like a real Duke with a shaft drive, wot jer fink guys.

Got me thinking about my ST2, has anyone heard of or considered a Belt drive conversion, is it feasible is it to too bulky or too expensive, be nice to ditch the scottoiler, and all the expense of chains, sprockets etc, could be right for higher mileage types, thoughts and info appreciated.
Old 18-Jun-2003, 19:09
Ducati Corse

Bikes with belt drives appear to have huge rear sprockets if thats what they are called. I guess they must have correspondingly smaller front ones as well. Dont know why, just an observation! Maybe clearance problems? Also the belts are a lot wider than chains tend ot be, same clearance problem and i think the tensioning of them is quite critical. Buell for example recommend going to a dealer to have it done.

Paul.