Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Aug-2004, 22:37
Big Twin

termis scorched again!!

DAMN DAMN DAMN

put my std pipes on for the mot and found my right hand carbon termi scorched badly around the circumfurance of the pipe at the front,

ive only done 3k miles with em,

i had so much hassle with with my 996s scorchin 2 sets of pipes in in less than 2k miles each time, i though i was over this prob since getting the 996r, but hey ho, here we are again!!

anyone got a 50mm carbon sleeve?

i guess il have to have em repacked.

why do they do this? is it crap packing from the factory?

or are there any other causes?

Old 22-Aug-2004, 13:05
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
I have been told that they have to be repacked every year, pants
if you can find anyone who can do the sleeve I need one too. or maybe someone out there does a titanium sleeve
Old 22-Aug-2004, 22:04
500SD

Every 6000 miles is about right for a repack. V-twin power pulses give cans a much harder time than IL4s.

Also depends on which diameter of cans/pipework your using with which engine. 50mm on a 996R is pretty conservative, I'd be looking for at least a full 54mm system.

As for Ti sleeves, if your cans are the standard 16" long ones, sleeves are available from Ducati at circa £125 each. If you've got the longer, fatter factory 18" cans (the ones where you have to cut out the sides of the seat unit to clear them) then both JHP and KJ Performance will have some made for you for about £280 a pair.

The advantage of Ti over carbon is that even if you blow all the packing material, the sleeve won't disintegrate. Think of it as a long term investment. Ti also looks sooooo much better!
Old 23-Aug-2004, 20:16
Big Twin

so if every 6k is about right for a repack, why are mine f***ed after only 3k.

im using the 50mm cans as this what the bike came with, lookslike this could be a good time to upgrade the exhaust system to a big bore system!
Old 24-Aug-2004, 01:21

54mm system

I'd be looking for at least a full 54mm system.

Does this diameter of pipe not have big implications on the performance. I mean on a downer?

Surly these would not vreate enough back pressure?
The bigger the pipe the better top end, but the worse low and mid range power created, is the usual rule of thumb.
Old 24-Aug-2004, 23:26
Big Twin

huggybear check out the sigma performance website for some info on this, but the larger diameter pipes allow better gas flow/ more power(as i understand it)

probably the more ideal system would be a 57mm system for the 996R, but unfortunatly ive not won the lottery yet!