Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Feb-2005, 13:56
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
888 - how good?

this is prompted by looking at Gordy's 888strada SP5 lookalike. I have had 900SSie and 748 before, and was wondering was-what is life like with an 888 then? I was thinking of replacing my stolen 748 with another (LeeB's 748R is on my list), but then thought...HEY! an 888 SP5 (even a lookalike) would be good.
How about some feedback...talking up - thanks.
Old 19-Feb-2005, 14:32
Montjuic

Mood: SP4 is back
I will let you know next weekend.
I just got my 888 a few weeks ago and I have still to ride it . I paid a lot for it and it needs work, I could have easily got a 996 for the same money but for me it is the best looking ducati.

They are less common than the 916/996/748 and they hold their value better,so long term it may be a cheaper option.

Buy a newer version if you want to blend in, or buy a classic and stand out.

It is a difficult decision but I am more than happy with my SP:P

[Edited on 19-2-2005 by simon foster]
Old 19-Feb-2005, 14:42
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Good topic...I rode an 851 when they first came out and remember not being overly impressed.

Is an 888 (hopefully) much better???

Just vaguely interested u understand

Frank
Old 19-Feb-2005, 16:22
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Life without a 888 is like life without beer you can do it,but you wouldn`t want to
Old 19-Feb-2005, 16:27
Big Twin

There isn`t the initial low down punch like the 2v,but you`re still pulling hard at double the speed limit
I`ve had most of the rubberband Dukes and the 888 gets the most heads turning and admiration,just ask Nattyboy when he displayed his
Old 19-Feb-2005, 17:11
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by sparkin
There isn`t the initial low down punch like the 2v,but you`re still pulling hard at double the speed limit

I'll second that. I've ridden Sparkin's 888 and it's suberb.

I'd have a 888 like a shot except that I haven't got the space to keep it inside and I'm not the worlds best polisher either so my bikes tend to live on the shabby side of life. I couldn't do that to a classic bike, it would deserve a better owner than me.

Oh...I haven't got the money either
Old 19-Feb-2005, 17:15
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
what about turning - any faster/slower to steer than a 748/996? and brakes - any difference or not that you would know?
Old 19-Feb-2005, 17:41
Big Twin

It`s all in the set up very stable on fast sweepers,std suspension typically Duc hard,bouncy on rough roads,rear ride height is adjustable to speed things up if you wish,as for brakes,mine has billet and cast iron,so Whooooooooa hay
Old 19-Feb-2005, 19:09
GTL

I have a 851 SP3 and a 916 Bip - the SP3 feels much livelier than the 916, turns in quicker, and the cast iron discs are very effective, although some say a radial master cylinder is worthwhile. the SP3 and SP4 are mechanically virtually identical, except the SP4 lost the ally fuel tank and a few other light bits, so is a bit heavier. Appearance is just down to taste - they both stand out from the 9xx/748 bikes.

Recommended!

Andrew
Old 19-Feb-2005, 19:10
500SD

Misterpink..

The SP is much quicker steering than the Strada, due to its steeper head angle. It's 40lb lighter too - and this is very noticeable in all situations. It's very chuckable for a Ducati. It feels an altogether smaller/more agile bike to ride. However, don't expect to be soothed by its suave road manners - because its in your face all of the time. It really is a bit of a beast!

So, if you value civility over the above, then the Strada's the one to go for. A lower bottom gear means moving off is much easier, and a higher 6th gear gives more relaxed cruising. Handling is excellent, if fairly 'lazy'. Brakes on my own bike are superb, despite them being 'bog standard'. (And how nice to be able to allow its engine to warm whilst donning helmet and gloves. SP won't do this - it has no cold start lever!)