Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 02-May-2005, 16:10
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
Quote:
Originally posted by the old man
This is getting out of hand (in my humble oppinion). I'm running a 620 (noisy cans and tweaked fueling) and came 5th and 4th (infront of Andrew). Does this make me a baddy? ********.

I read the rules like everyone else and made a decission about which would be the most competative solution. I spent every spare penny I had (of my own money, no sponsors, no outside help)(incidentally, I'm a locksmith, blue collar, a trade, I make my living driving arround in a van - just so you know) to build what I thought was the best bike I could for the money I could afford, and I rode my flaming socks off on Sunday. I wanted a top three finish but it didn't happen because I was beaten by people who, on the day were quicker than me.

This is racing, people want to win and if the rules permit it then someone will do it. It's like life, you make your decissions and you live with the concequences.

NOW.

On Friday I followed Geoff's (reputed) big bore and it wasn't significantly quicker down the straight than my 620. Yet on Sunday Geoff was over a second a lap quicker than anyone else - that's because on the day he was the better rider. It's as simple as that. Let me swap bikes with Geoff and I believe he would still have beaten me - on Sunday.

If you take out Geoff's bike and the Ducati Dealer bikes (incidentally the dealers can probably only run current Ducati kit, so they have virtually no choice over what they run) then the rest of the field (from me downwards) is a fairly well sorted mix of injected and carburetted bikes. To my mind that goes a long way to negating the big bore / 620 conspiracy.

Consider this. Even if Geoff does have the hottest bike on the grid, how much power do we seriously thing it makes, maybe 2 or 3 bhp up on a well prepared 620? On Saturday I raced in the SOT and beat an Aprillia Mille and a 996; both almost certainly putting out in excess of TWICE the power of my 620 sport. Geoff's lap time of Sunday would have got him a 4TH PLACE IN SOT - agains bike with over TWICE THE POWER.

Sunday's results have very little to do with power, they are about rider ability and that's the one comodity that cost each of us nothing. Short of a one make class like the R6 Cup, this is probably one of the closest technical classes any of us could race in. Instead of worrying about a handfull of bhp we should all leave Cadwell focused on inproving our ability - that's what I'm doing.

As an asside, I'm running a standard rear shock on my bike because I could not afford a fancy Ohlins / White Power etc. So I object most strongly to the unfair advantage possessed by those people who have most unsportingly gone out and spent huge amounts of money on exotic suspension components!

well said
Old 02-May-2005, 16:12
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Like Eric I'm not racing, so my opinion counts for ****.

BUT.

I totally agree with Skidlids post, and (Domski's come to that). On the very first race of the series, there are effectively 4 classes. Already, after the first race of the series, there is some animosity creeping in.

I know that people hate those who get all self righteous, and smugly say "I told you so", but just take a look back to what me and several others were posting at the outset of this series. We were pleading with the organisers to make it a series for the "normal" DSC rider (to quote Antonye), by restricting it to 583 carburetted bikes on control tyres ONLY (well, I guess we got the tyres bit).

That way it would have been affordable, or at least within reach, for the masses (if any racing can be deemed affordable) and all the "works" teams would have had not significant advantage. OK, so if that had been the case they may not have entered at all, good thing or bad thing?

The results on Sunday may well have been the same if everyone was on 10 year old carbed SS's, but at least we'd have known the true extent of rider ability.

BTW: Fair play to 'the old man", that's the spirit under which the current rules should've been played out. Just an ordinary bloke putting in the commitment and riding his socks off. Well done on your 4th & 5th mate.

[Edited on 2-5-2005 by Jools]
Old 02-May-2005, 16:12
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Ian - not taking anything away from you mate - you rode a blinding race
Andy reckoned even with any extra power, he would have had trouble getting round you

I think this thread needs to get back to butch's question tho........
Old 02-May-2005, 16:13
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
very well said!

Quote:
Originally posted by the old man
As an asside, I'm running a standard rear shock on my bike because I could not afford a fancy Ohlins / White Power etc. So I object most strongly to the unfair advantage possessed by those people who have most unsportingly gone out and spent huge amounts of money on exotic suspension components!

i'll swap my shock for some of your ability.
Old 02-May-2005, 16:16
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
That way it would have been affordable, or at least within reach, for the masses (if any racing can be deemed affordable)

i think i'm right in saying that a number of competitors have got on the grid for under 3k a couple even under 2k?
Old 02-May-2005, 16:30
Montjuic

Mood: Loud cluthes save Lives
It would appear that he with the most money wins
Old 02-May-2005, 16:39
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
Quote:
That way it would have been affordable, or at least within reach, for the masses (if any racing can be deemed affordable)

i think i'm right in saying that a number of competitors have got on the grid for under 3k a couple even under 2k?

Yes - me cos I used my road bike and added second hand sils, second hand belly pan, second hand rearsets. But I already had an Ohlins ( sorry Ian )
Add to that incidentals a kitchen bowl and fibreglass and tyres etc and the rest was just time and some track practice expenses.
Old 02-May-2005, 16:47
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix n max
Quote:
Quote:

Yes - me cos I used my road bike and added second hand sils, second hand belly pan, second hand rearsets. But I already had an Ohlins ( sorry Ian )
Add to that incidentals a kitchen bowl and fibreglass and tyres etc and the rest was just time and some track practice expenses.

and are you having fun ????
Old 02-May-2005, 16:53
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix n max
Quote:
Quote:

and are you having fun ????

Had a great weekend thanks yes
Old 02-May-2005, 16:55
BSB Star

EXACTLY.

that above all else is whats its all about.
Closed Thread