Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jul-2005, 01:58
GTL

I have spoken to quite a few people who have had dukes, some will have them forever and some never again. I think with a duke you either get it (as in soul/character/feeling) or you don’t .If someone doesn’t you can’t talk them round and if they do then everything else is a compromise.
Having said that I can see why some of the bad repair bills have changed more than a few minds, so until then I’ll take it for all I can (looking for a fingers crossed smiley).
Old 05-Jul-2005, 10:47
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
I love the whole feel of the bike and knowing you're part of something very special with a whole lot of heritage.

To me Dukes are more of a "real" bike as in they have a proper character rather than just being a Superbike Magazine statistic of 0-60's and top speeds that most of us mortals would never use anyway.

The only thing that bothers me and has ever bothered me is the maintenance costs, I know its a you have to cross that bridge when you come to it, but hearing of a £1200 service is one hell of a lot of money, its like buying a cheap run around.

I can't even comprehend how it could possibly cost that much, thats more like something you'd claim on the insurance for if you ditched your bike.
Old 05-Jul-2005, 12:52
500SD

Take the cost of a 12k service,add on the rockers at £80-90 EACH,and the bill soon looks like the national debt.£1200 is the worst service cost Ive had,but its not uncommon.Changing bike every 2 years is an option,always under warranty,but depreciation comes into play.Main thing is enjoy the bike,think of all the tax your saving by living in the IOM,as the Ducati fund
Old 05-Jul-2005, 13:03
500SD

True but I've still sent an email to Ducati to see their views on the subject, I think if its a recognised defect then you can't expect the customer to foot the bill.
Old 05-Jul-2005, 13:12
500SD

As a follow on I have come across the following article which highlights Ducati's obligation to foot the repair of failing rockers which are recognised as a defective component.

http://www.ducati.net/faq.cfm?id=45
Old 05-Jul-2005, 13:17
Mille

Had my 748e from new about 2 years ago. Please to be able to report absolutely nothing wrong with her.

Although still under warranty I have mine serviced by Richard at Louigi Moto, as he has had a shed load of positive feedback on this site, plus he's so much cheaper than the main dealer in Bristol where I live.

The only thing I've done is to fit some Hellibars (imported from the USA) which help with the riding position. The mine is superb as it is and I've resisted any temptation to add "bling" bits to it...Ride it, service it ,clean it and enjoy!
Old 05-Jul-2005, 13:20
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
don't worry-just ride it.. if you take a trip to the factory and museum you will see that ducati are interested in making machines to ride, the starting point is something that is track(wsbk) biased, rather than the japanese who start with a production machine and turn it into a track missile. but all in all the ride factor is the thing. Problems...well they may happen, but the 748 is very well screwed together especially the later ones. Perfomance?? they are not the fastest kid on the block and a 748R putting out around 105hp would be the best of the bunch - if you need more power a 996/998 has it, the 748 is a revvy kind of v-twin compared to the bigger displacement engines..so you do have to try harder.
Old 05-Jul-2005, 13:22
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by 748IOM
As a follow on I have come across the following article which highlights Ducati's obligation to foot the repair of failing rockers which are recognised as a defective component.

http://www.ducati.net/faq.cfm?id=45

Interesting that he quotes Neil Spalding's (Sigma Performance) article on rockers at the bottom. It's a pretty good article and that, plus his advice, is why I've never ridden or rev'd my 996 until it's warm and wouldn't dream of it before 90 seconds was up. Even though I use Neil's recommended oil!

Worth bearing in mind.

[Edited on 5-7-2005 by TP]
Old 05-Jul-2005, 14:23
Ducati Corse

I think Ducati will only honour out of warranty period claims if the bike has been dealer serviced from new.
Old 05-Jul-2005, 15:07
500SD

hmm but a second hand owner cannot be held to ransom for a bikes history which is out of their control.

In my case however it has been officially dealer serviced for its lifetime but I think that its Ducatis legal obligation to honour all out of warranty claims for parts which are known to be defective.

If they couldn't build it right in the first place then they should cover the costs.