Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 19-Nov-2005, 12:53
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Knock/oxygen sensor on new monsters

On the new S4rs and i think the S2r 1000ds you can see a knock sensor thing in the side of the cat bulge on the left hand side. I guess the reason for these is emssions etc but will it help the bike to run better generally?

As i know when my dealer has been tweaking my s4r they stick a sensor in the little bung in the down pipes to check Co2 levels. Guess this will be like an onboard one I heard Bmw bikes and most cars have had them for ages can compensate for all sorts like lower ocatane fuel etc.

Anyone know mucho about them
Old 19-Nov-2005, 19:00
GTL

yeah they are Lamda sensors which compensate for any situations to give consistent running/emissions.

Also makes them euro3 compliant
Old 19-Nov-2005, 19:04
Montjuic

They check CO, not CO2 with the probe into the exhuast header. A knock sensor detects detonation in the engine and adjusts the FI to stop it happening as detonation will destroy your engine. A lambda (or oxygen) sensor is fitted in the exhaust just before the cat usually and measures the oxygen content of the exhaust gasses. It then feeds back to the FI system which adjusts the mixture etc to achieve the correct lambda value.