Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Aug-2003, 17:45
Montjuic

Dodgy clutch??

I have found that with my 996 the clutch is jerky (ie judders) when I pull away from lights etc. It is never a smooth take off and I certainly can't do quick get aways where the clutch slips at high revs of the engine. I have never experienced this before with any of the bikes I've had in the past. Is there a problem with the clutch. It mostly happens after the bike has been running for a while but it can;t be due to a hot clutch as I never have chance to slip it.

Any ideas??
Old 19-Aug-2003, 18:42
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 996R and MV Agusta F4 1000R

How many miles have the plates done? I generally find that the plates start to slip after about 8-9k, but still last for another 2k with a bit of care on take up.
Old 19-Aug-2003, 18:58

The steel drive plates will stress relieve because of heat over time. This can cause glazing and some warpage. Clutch dust build up will also contribute to chatter, groaning and slippage. I suggest disassembling your clutch pack, lightly sand the steel plates and clean out the clutch area. Measure the plate thicknesses to verify that they aren't worn out of spec. This should help for a while but the symptoms will likely reoccure in time. Just the nature of dry clutches.
Old 19-Aug-2003, 23:34
Mille

Mood: Summer at last... :-)
What feels like transmission snatch from the chain when pulling away is often not down to the chain/sprockets but a sure sign that the clutch needs attention.

Depending on use, 996 clutches can last only around 6000 miles - mine lasted until the 12K service before it needed replacing but smooth get-aways were impossible for the last 2500ish miles.
Old 20-Aug-2003, 00:26
Montjuic

So basically clutch plates need replacing?

Is this a big job requiring special tools/skills or can a competent DIYer, who can cope with 2 to 3 spanners in the haynes manual, do it with a socket set, spanners and a very heavy hammer if the going gets tough!
Old 20-Aug-2003, 04:40

Replacing a clutch is very simple and only requires a hex wrench to remove the cover and a hex to remove the spring retaining bolts. Once the springs are off, the pressure plate is pulled off and the clutch plates can be removed. Be sure to note the order that they come out so the new unit can be installed the same way. There is a good chance that the steel drive plates can be sanded and reused (measure the thickness to verify they are in spec and are flat). Measure the friction plates as well. I suggest that you pick up a Haynes service manual or download the appropriate information from the ducati.com website. Let me know if you run into any problems and I'll be happy to walk you thru the procedure. My e-mail is: marty91698@yahoo.com
Old 20-Aug-2003, 06:19

I forgot an important item: Be sure to align the pressure plate properly with the hub or the clutch won't function properly. There is one spring boss with a groove on the outer surface. This should be aligned with the hole in the pressure plate that also has a groove in it. Sorry for the poor description, it's late but I think once you see the assembly when you remove the cover it will make sense. Good luck!
Old 20-Aug-2003, 12:33
Montjuic

Cheers mate

I have a haynes manual and it shows a strange homemade tool to do the aligning that you mention. I don't have this tool and can't see how it works anyway.

Thanks for the tips anyway, I'll check everything when I get time. It can't be that difficult, he who dares etc...

Regards pete
Old 20-Aug-2003, 13:47
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
:P

18,068 miles and still on my original plates and basket

Am I doing something wrong!!!!!!!
Old 20-Aug-2003, 13:47
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
I think the strange home made tool in the Haynes is for removing the Clutch BASKET , not the plates !
Removing the plates are easy , one tip though make sure you clean any clutch dust out before putting the new plate in !