Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Jul-2004, 15:39
Ducati Corse

ST3 test ride

Took W Snells (Alton) ST3 out for a good long test ride this morning, on the suggestion of Roger and Robert there as I’m looking for a stable mate for the 998. I have to say I was very impressed.

After climbing off a 998 the riding position is very sit-up-and-beg except the foot pegs are quite high as befits a ‘sport tourer’ - they shouldn’t touch down too easily. The engine is liquid cooled (like the ST2 it replaces) and is a 3 valver. Together with the dry clutch it sound just like any of the supersports engines. And it goes like one too! Good low down torque and a strong top end right round to 9,500rpm, puts out 95bhp and feels like a fit 748. The ride is quite soft but well damped and together with the high clip-on style bars it tips on its ear in a trice, very easy to ride from the word go. Soon we were overtaking sportsbikes on the A31’s numerous roundabouts which was great fun, sat there all comfy without a care in the world – an absolute hoot. If I were to compare it with a non-Ducati I’d say it feels as easy to ride as my old VRF750FT but with a much more powerful and characterful engine.

The screen has a flip-up edge and I didn’t realise at one stage that I was doing 135 until I glanced at the speedo because you’re protected so well from the windblast. Then I changed into top gear. This is a seriously quick machine, it just feels so easy to ride.

There are a couple of slight grumbles however. The bars vibrate a bit over 90 and the brakes are a little wooded although respond well when you give them a good two fingered squeeze. Taken as a whole I loved its easy and capable nature, finding myself going far quicker than I thought because you are cosseted so well by the fairing and the engine is so willing.

Snells also have a Multistrada on their test fleet and is a great family run business to deal with.
Old 31-Jul-2004, 18:49
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
So WHEN IS IT COMING !
Old 13-Jan-2005, 22:00
Ducati Corse

Lets say we're in negotiations ......
Old 13-Jan-2005, 22:09
GTL

If you buy a 2005 model its got a wet clutch!!
Old 13-Jan-2005, 22:30
Ducati Corse

I was just going to post that i thought they had a wet clutch!!
Old 14-Jan-2005, 00:26
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
Good to see you are not rushing into things Henners.
When was the test ride !
At your time of life I feel you should perhaps hurry things along some what !
You will be selling the new bike to pay for the nursing home !
OLD BOY.
Young Kev
Old 14-Jan-2005, 01:06
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Quote:
Originally posted by Henners
The screen has a flip-up edge and I didn’t realise at one stage that I was doing 135 until I glanced at the speedo because you’re protected so well from the windblast. Then I changed into top gear.

Should be well run in now then
Old 14-Jan-2005, 19:49
Ducati Corse

Nice one Snells

Big up to W Snell in Alton, Robert, Roger Carl and Tom, who did me a great deal on an ST3 today. Next weekend will be mega ... fly to Bologna on Friday, pick the ST3 up on Saturday ... and before you ask young Kev - yes I will ride this one in the rain

Thanks to Ian for the advice on the Multistrada, in the end I preferred the feel on the 3 valve engine and of course the protection given by the fairing as I want to ride long distance on it. Roll on France in the Spring

[Edited on 14-1-2005 by Henners]
Old 15-Jan-2005, 15:10
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Well done Henners-so you've decided to join us 'old boys' on our comfy bikes eh..............???

John
Old 16-Jan-2005, 00:33
Ducati Corse

Too bl**dy right John I'll keep the MV for when the Sanatogen works