Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jul-2005, 14:03
Mille

Just to conclude this i have been forwarde an email from Michelin uk that had been received from their French techinical department.I'm personally happy with their reponse and will no longer worry about this line.

"I have had a reply from our technical people in France.

They have confirmed my original suspicions in that the signs you describe are
caused by a carbon black rubber strip which is moulded into the tyre before
curing - carbon being a good conductor of static electricity.

This line which has appeared in your tyre will disappear after 1000 + miles and
has no detrimental effect on the performance and or handling of the bike."

Two Wheel Department,
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company
Old 05-Jul-2005, 18:15

I got the exact same reply from Michelin today.

Exactly word for word!

Im also fairly happy with their response, but they are ignoring the fact that after over 2200 fairly hard riding miles, these markings are still very evident.

Maybe Im just a bit paranoid. Guess we just have to hope for the best!!
Old 12-Jul-2005, 08:24

I have just received an official response from Michelin regarding the "groove" in Pilot Power tyres, which I attach.

They state that it is a carbon black anti-static insert.

Guess there's no need for further worry. My mind is at rest!!

Their Tech Manager requested that I post their report on the DSC website for the benefit of all concerned riders.

G
Old 12-Jul-2005, 09:54
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Good stuff, I asked around and everyone said it was fine, good to have official confirmation
Old 20-Sep-2005, 22:51
Dibble

bounced for guest1
Old 20-Sep-2005, 23:04
Big Twin

Big up for you guys!
Set me mind at rest.
Old 21-Sep-2005, 10:12
Big Twin

Well, I was happy last night, but not so convinced on the actual "theory" of the antistatic strip.
Do I smell BS? Can anyone else smell it?

Not being an expert in tyres, but having worked in the electrical engineering industry for, ohhhh, about 28 years - including specification and testing of anti-static flooring to pharma installations, I reckon there may be a bit of spin involved (no pun intended) with this tyres story.

For anti static protection to work, it must be in contact with a good earth and also in contact with that which is charged.
As far as I can ascertain, the antistatic is indeed in contact with the floor, but michelin say it will only be there for 500 to 1000 miles.
I personally am now on 2000+ miles and it's still there.
But where does the anti-static strip make contact with the bike?

Why would michelin have the strip only usable for the 500 to 1000 if as they say "It is necessary to ensure that this [static] is dispersed during usage"
Considering the life of a tyre (say about 3000miles?), does this mean that I am at risk of static shocks or that the bike is at risk when the carbon strip is not in contact with earth?

I can understand why they would assume that the bike gains a static charge (just like aircraft gain a charge as they pass through air, or like air ducting gains a charge as air passes through it), I can also understand why they may want to disperse this charge safely to earth (could this be the reason the CAN technology had a few bugs on earlier bikes?), but using the tyres to discharge the static charge???

I shall also be sending this query to Michelin and await a reply.
Old 09-May-2006, 12:43

Just thought I'd bring this thread up to date......

Following the previous discussions with Mitchelin and others over the "anti-static strips" evident on the Pilot Power tyres, I have attached a photo of the tyre in question after completing 5,000 miles since fitted.

Contrary to Michelins advice to owners, these strips obviously did not disappear after 1000 miles. Not only are they still evident after 5000, but are now accompanied by what seem small tears in the rubber around whole circumference of tyre.

I will be contacting Michelin again for their further comment.

Has anyone else noticed these marks after such mileage? I wonder if there should still be cause for concern? How deep do they actually go, and will these tears develope further?...

G.
Old 09-May-2006, 13:03
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Makes you wonder why they bother. If static is a problem then surely it will always be a problem after the carbon strip has worn away.
Old 09-May-2006, 18:52
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Mines got the strips and tons of cuts after about 2800 miles, I put cuts down to commuting thru traffic etc going round cars where all the crap is. Then again i never seen so many cuts on other bikes owned.

Also these are the probably the softest tires i everr had to so may be that and the fact hardly any tread on em??

I will try and get pic to so we can compare