....can you bi-wheele it???
Old 13-Dec-2005, 21:07
Montjuic

Mood: dazed and confused
I'll let you know when it's on the road
Old 13-Dec-2005, 21:43
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Interesting project. Some very nice work there, but would have to say that from a pure engineering perspective, I would have been tempted to sling the swingarm altogether and continue with the tubualr structure right onto the back of the engine picking up of the original S/A pivot and the shock mounts.

I think where I'm coming from is that the tubular frame carrying the diff is such a nice piece of work, in a way the chunky old square tin swinger spoils it.

Other than that, it looks very well thought out, and will certainly turn heads! Nice one Gary.
Old 15-Dec-2005, 00:18
Montjuic

See where you're coming from Yeti. Tubular would have looked good but welding to the steel swingarm was the easiest, and least time consuming way to get the rear end attached and properly aligned.

I figure once it's all powder coated to match it'll look ok, but I've got a long way to go yet. Busy sorting rear discs brake and handbrake at the moment, and the handbrake in particular is proving to be a real headache.

[Edited on 15-12-2005 by Gary T.]
Old 15-Dec-2005, 10:45
500SD

Maybe its one of those things that just can't be explained but I don't get it.

What is the attraction of a trike? It seems to me to have none of the advantages of a bike with none of the advantages of a car!
The worst of both worlds IMO.

'Outraged of Lutterworth'
Old 15-Dec-2005, 11:05
Big Twin

Mood: www.zeitgeistmovie.com The Truth they dont want you to know.
I`ve never understood Trike either.

You get stuck in the traffic and the rain...

Take my hat off to you for the amount of work etc...

But I`d Just get a convertable car.
Old 15-Dec-2005, 12:18
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I should think that the power to weight ratio is still much, much better than a car so it should still be good for an acceleration rush.

I've never ridden one but I would also think that a lot of the steering could be done by sliding the back end around? Great fun, especially on damp roads.

And do you have to wear a lid or so much protective gear? Good to ride in a T-shirt and Jeans in the summer - just hop on and go. Extrovert? you betcha!

I also like anything that has been nicely engineered

Would I have one now? NO!

Would I have one if for some reason I wasn't able to ride a two wheeler - Yep I'd have one like a shot
Old 24-Dec-2005, 22:04
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by Herb
Maybe its one of those things that just can't be explained but I don't get it.

What is the attraction of a trike? It seems to me to have none of the advantages of a bike with none of the advantages of a car!
The worst of both worlds IMO.

'Outraged of Lutterworth'

Why?

Just because they are a serious giggle and different. It's something you're not likley to get your head round until you've ridden one. I was one of the "what's the point?" crowd until the other half got one and I rode it for a bit.

True you do get stuck in traffic more, and can't really filter like a 2 wheeler but a trike can still overtake if the oppertunity is there. If we only bought/rode/built bikes or vehicles that were practical the world would be a very boring place, and Ducati wouldnt have sold very many 851, 748, 916, 996 999's etc, etc..

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by Gary T.]
Old 24-Dec-2005, 22:12
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
I should think that the power to weight ratio is still much, much better than a car so it should still be good for an acceleration rush.

I've never ridden one but I would also think that a lot of the steering could be done by sliding the back end around? Great fun, especially on damp roads.

And do you have to wear a lid or so much protective gear? Good to ride in a T-shirt and Jeans in the summer - just hop on and go. Extrovert? you betcha!

I also like anything that has been nicely engineered

Would I have one now? NO!

Would I have one if for some reason I wasn't able to ride a two wheeler - Yep I'd have one like a shot

It will weigh a bit more as a trike, but I'm keeping it as light as possible and hoping to tune it for a bit more power.

A lid is not a legal requirement on a trike. I've been on the other halfs (XV1100) without out one on local trips, and even at low(ish) speed shat myself. So I'll at least wear an open face on the monster - plus it keeps the crap out of your face.

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by Gary T.]