Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Jun-2006, 14:15
Big Twin

Termignoni splitting ??

I have just noticed that my Termi has cracked/split just behind the large mounting bolt. It looks as though it is like an L shape.

I have just contacted my local dealer who in turn has contacted ducati.

The reply ios that Ducati UK have never heard of a problem with them but I am sure that a lot of people on this site have had them replaced, if this is correct how come no-one at Ducati has heard of this ???

It also the same case for my front Ohlins, I have read of other people having their forks replaced but my dealer again says that they have never heard of a problem, that ohlins always leak, this is normal and they will only replace the seals, can anyone cast any light on this too.

thanks
Old 23-Jun-2006, 14:32
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
can't comment on the can but i know there are few on here had it. in the last 4 weeks my multistrada ohlins seal failed, my mates 999R seal failed and another mates 999R seal failed. Some dealers do try and fix the seal others replace the leg. i take it you are still with the dealer nearest you??
Old 23-Jun-2006, 15:32
Big Twin

Yes Gizmo, so you know who that is !

You would think they would rather change the whole leg, they would get extra labour for it.
Old 23-Jun-2006, 16:14
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally Posted by iang
Yes Gizmo, so you know who that is !

You would think they would rather change the whole leg, they would get extra labour for it.

not that easy, to fix the fork you need special tools from Ohlins which ohlins don't supply Ducati dealers but maybe with your dealer they have them for Aprilia, i think Ducatis oem fork deal requires ohlins to fix forks so DUK can't pay the dealer, that would be up to ohlins ( thats how it works when we buy oem forks from most suppliers for our mountain bikes), ohlins won't want to pay Ducati dealer rates cos it probably isn't cost effective, the dealer will get less for replacing the leg as its a quick, easy job to do. Maybe they have a way of reclaiming cost from either DUK or Ohlins even so ideally you want both legs doing at same time as oil will be old in one new in the other. Whatever, its confusing and crazy that legs get replaced for the sake of a seal, ultimately we are paying for it in higher bike prices which allow for the warranty work.

yes, i know the dealer and buy all my clothing from them but wouldn't take a bike to them for service and haven't for over 12 years
Old 23-Jun-2006, 17:56
everton

If your bike is still under warranty then Ducati will replace the fork legs under warranty.

Both seals went on my 2003 999R fork legs and I got them both replaced at Snells under warranty with 2005 spec legs
Old 23-Jun-2006, 19:56
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Both my fork legs on the 2004 749r leaked. The seals were replaced under warranty with no argument. The workshop I used is expeirenced with working on ohlins forks and had all the relevant tools. If you go to a dealer that does not have the tools or knowledge then they may replace the whole leg under warranty.

Best option is to have the seals replaced with a non standard ohlins 3 lip seal. These do not seem to leak.
Old 23-Jun-2006, 20:02
Big Twin

Would anyone that has had their forks replaced under warranty please contact me with the details and where the work was carried out so that I can confront my dealer or travel to somewhere that will replace them.
Thanks
Old 23-Jun-2006, 20:16
500SD

Mood: a ducati is for life not just for christmas
Angry

my mate pedro had his seals replaced on his 749r its a common problem
Old 23-Jun-2006, 20:20
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Think you may find the following helpfull

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ghlight=ohlins
Old 23-Jun-2006, 20:40
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 749R 2004

Mood: luvin' bein back out on the 'R'
Ian
is that your front wheel in that pic on Ebay ?!