Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Feb-2004, 13:35
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Unless im missing something no-ones mentioned the SPS ! Awesome .. an SP4 with more power and lower weight..VERY limited numbers too.

Pros; Carbon tank, rare,

Cons; No fan to save weight (you dont want be going to a WSB or MotoGP round and get stuck in traffic!!), identical in looks to SP4 for mega bucks more!

I too have looked into 888 prices for some time, and the most knowledgable people I have spoken to (Forza Italia, and a ducati UK contact) say that as the values of 4's and 5's are soaring (forza sold an SP4 last summer for 8k with a private plate!!!), its dragging the prices of stradas up to !!!!! So the good news is that most people reading this section have a bike that is earning them money (not that any of us would sell!!!!!).

I always thought the 851SP2 (technically a 888) was the quickest and most brutal ??

BTW..I know 2 different guys who have an SP2 and an SP4 who are thinking of selling if anyone is serious.

Cheers
Nat

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by Nattyboy]

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by Nattyboy]
Old 18-Feb-2004, 13:53
Mille

Mood: positive energy, man.....
I just cant see these Dukes depreciating any more than they already have - they always were pretty scarce, and will retain their kudos factor amongst Ducatisti, who will always pay reasonable money for them. This is set against the newer models which in many cases are dynamically superior/with more widespread appeal but ultimately more commonly available and so more prone to depreciation.
With regard to 7**/9**s, every second bike is now an SP clone which dilutes the effect of seeing a real SP. It's a shame really, fabulous bikes and all but I remember when you used to see Dukes around these parts at the rate of about 1 every 6 weeks and you loved them all the more for it!
I just like the idea of having something that is a little leftfield but surprisingly potent.

Justin
Old 18-Feb-2004, 13:59
Mille

Nat

I heard that about a Raymond Roche Replica SP2 (official model?), but never got the information to prove.
I did find an 888 SPS (SP4) for sale a while ago for about £17000
Same basic motor as SP5 but with less road kit - I think.

Justin
Old 18-Feb-2004, 17:00
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Couldnt agree more Otto...When I picked up my new 916 in '97, it drew crowds everywhere as there simply werent many around (a £14k price tag prevented that!), but by the time it had gone to the big scrapyard in the sky in 2002, there were so many 748/9*6 etc and im not surpised..you can pick a cheap 748 up for £4k so there becoming more accesible. A lot of bike for very little money.

Wanted summat different (did look at 916 sennas but they were going for silly money considering there just a biposto with a few bolt ons) , always dreamed of a 888 and here we are. And I cant believe how much more attention I get on it (from bikers and non-bikers) than I did the 916 !!! Im in love with the thing..it just seems to have even more character then the 916 !!

It also seems that its not just the bikes that are fetching good money.I had to pay £18 for an original sales brochure !!!!

So long live the 888 (as a bike and an investment fund)!!!! It goes in for a major service on Monday so I hope I still love it after I get the bill

Nat
Old 19-Feb-2004, 09:01
Mille

I must have been bidding against you then!!
My ebay ID is nicequedgeonya! - so that it doesnt happen again!
Old 19-Feb-2004, 12:35
Mille

This one looks like a SP4.5!!!
If anyone has a dabble be real careful that its not a bitsa.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ategory=99 19
Old 19-Feb-2004, 22:11
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
fair price for SP4

I was very fortunate to pick up a pristine 888 Strada for £3500 2 years ago with 10k and full history.
the owner also had an SP5 that had been chucked down the road,mainly cosmetic but expensive!!!!he sold that for £4000 a bargain now.
For general riding and practicality the Strada wins hands down,easy to live with still sex on a stick to look at.
if money was no object it would have to the Roche replica with corsa engine.
ProV Twins had racing 888 with no mileage but i dont know if it is still their.
if you have the money which ever you buy you won't be dissapointed, just make sure that it has regular oil changes/belts shims etc regardless of mileage.
happy hunting.
Old 20-Feb-2004, 08:43
Mille

888 heaven - I saw that SP5 advertised in MCN for £3700 about 2 years ago. Called the guy up on Wed morning and it turned out I was about the 30th caller so he said that he decided not to sell it. Turns out he did then - sounded like a bargain to me (good spares bike!!!!)
Old 20-Feb-2004, 14:05
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I love the way the seat/tail unit wraps around and into side panels......

Thats the one thing I think my 900ss should have - Heee Heee - I feel a long term project coming on!

Frank
Old 20-Feb-2004, 14:08
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

More........

Forza italia used bikes

Frank