Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Dec-2003, 14:13
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Monty/Dialled in cams

Saw one of your posts and you mentioned dialled in cams.

Did it make much difference?
Was it worth it?
Any before and after dyno charts?

Thanks.
Old 15-Dec-2003, 14:36
Dibble

BDG,

You need to contact Neil Spalding at Sigma Performance on 07881 820748 or www.sigmaperformance.co.uk as they are the experts on the Full Monty set-up and dialled in cams, i think there are some dyno charts on the site ....

He's a helpful sod .....

Tell him I sent you ....

Dibble
Old 15-Dec-2003, 19:01
Ducati Corse

I think JHP did John's bike.
Old 19-Dec-2003, 18:25
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Sorry boys, I haven't been on the site for a while. Rockhopper is correct JHP did my cams.
Was it worth it-hmmmm, let me see. Extra 3 bhp, much smoother, Ducati quote peak power at 8750 with rapid drop off after that. Mine makes peak power of 113bhp at 9300 and is still making 110bhp at 10,200-I think it was worth it.

John
Old 05-Jan-2004, 16:37
Ducati Corse

Thanks for the answers

Useful to get the info.

If anyones thinking of fitting pipes to an st4s i've got dyno runs for before and after.
Old 16-Jan-2004, 13:05
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

So don't keep us in suspense-what difference?? The 113bhp run on mine was with standard cans and filter on JHP's dyno. Since then it has had Ducati Performance cans and filter fitted-seems to have even MORE midrange, I don't know if it has any more on top but then again it was always pretty strong up there anyway.

John
Old 18-Jan-2004, 00:33
Ducati Corse

Good evening Monty

B4 and after Dyno runs on ST4s

Depending on what measurement u use the figures can vary. My local dyno operator qoutes Din or even std figures as they are higher than EEC figures and of course most people want to see the highest bulls**t figure possible. The actual output can vary by 4 bhp depending on which measurement is used. However i will qoute EEC figs which are used by most magazines and lower than most other readings. Also of course readings can vary from dyno to dyno but these figures are taken of the same dyno b4 and after the fitting of DP pipes, filter and remapping.

B4 figs 109.3 bhp and 68.4 ft/lbs torque
After 113.9 bhp and 71.8 ft/lbs torque

These are peak figs. Mid range at 6250 rpm where the stock bike dives a bit, the difference is +9bhp and +10 ft/lbs torque.

The power and torque curves are smoother throughout the range.

Still think its more cost effective to spend the money on suspension from past experience but it doesn't sound as nice!

I am hoping that changes may help me to lap Oulton in less than 1 hour 30 mins now!

Old 19-Jan-2004, 15:28
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood

So you are 4.6 bhp and 3.4 ft/lbs up-not bad. The mid range increase is about what I would expect from a chip/pipe change since they are deliberately restricted to get through euro noise regs in the drive by test. What revs did it pull peak power and what about the overev??
By the way John Hackett always says not to take your bike to him if you want high figures to boast about down the pub, take it to a dynojet dyno.

John
Old 19-Jan-2004, 23:41
Ducati Corse

John

Peak power B4 was at 9000rpm
Peak is now at 8750' holds untill 9000 then drops by 5 bhp by 10200 rpm.

Over rev shows exactly the same trend as B4 fitting the pipes.

Torque curve is pretty flat from 6000 to 8500 (with slight peak at 7000) then nosedives from8500 whereas B4 it was peaks and troughs.

Shame the bike has recently had major service but may well get cams dialled at next major fettle as it sounds worthwhile.

cheers

Shaun.
Old 20-Jan-2004, 12:43
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood

8750 is exactly what Ducati claim, mine made peak of 113bhp at 9400 and was still giving 110 at 10100. This was with standard pipes and filter, just the cams dialled. John did it for me himself at the 6000 service and charged me about £50 I think. JHP always take the cams out when they service a bike since as John says 'how else can you check the rockers?'
He uses a Superflow dyno which is noted to be a/ accurate, and b/ give lower figures than just about any other dyno-it's also what the factory use-nuff said.
Should be interesting if you are bringing your ST4S to Cadwell, they can hussle round there pretty well.
I have to agree with your earlier statement that the best value is to mod suspension but the '4S only needs to be set up properly not modded. In my opinion the best mod is to the brakes. I put the new 4 pad calipers on mine-awesome brakes, welcome to the world of 1 finger stoppies!!

John

[Edited on 20-1-2004 by Monty]