Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Nov-2006, 21:45
Mille

Speed bleeders

How do speed bleeders work. Bought two. How do i use them.
Old 22-Nov-2006, 14:14
Mille

Mood: twitching
sorry ill have to check for you but if you like I can post some 50ml syringes as I use these with a bit of plastic pipe to draw the fluid through rather than push/ pumpit with the brake leaver....works for me and in is excellent when you fit new brake/clutch lines...
Old 22-Nov-2006, 14:29
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Put the open end of the pipe over the bleed nipple and dangle the speed bleeder end into a jamjar that has got enough brake fluid in it to cover the end. Undo the bleed nipple that the pipe is connected to (not all the way, just far enough so that fluid comes out of the speed bleeder) then pump the brake.

All the speed bleeder is, is a non-return valve that will stop air getting drawn back into the system when you let go of the brake. Keep an eye on your master cylinder and keep it topped up as you squeeze the brake.

Do the bleed nipple up before you disconnect the speed bleeder pipe and you should be OK.

Said it to folks before though....If you need to ask, should you be working on your brakes ???

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 22-Nov-2006, 17:32
Mille

I used one that you connect to an airline, cost about 30 quid, Put new brake lines on and bled the underslung back brake with ease, cos it was so easy I also replaced the clutch fluid aswell
Old 22-Nov-2006, 17:44
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Jools, you're getting old

Most of us learn from ' having a go ' ,manuals and experience, I know I did.

Anyway, so long as you only fiddle with one brake at a time then you've always got tha other one to fall back on

I just hope that after saying the above, that the next post from 9rrr isn't headed '' Can anyone tell me how to straighten bent forks after a crash ''
Old 23-Nov-2006, 22:01
GTL

Ditto what philfy said, when reading jools's post i thought....true, but if you don't try you'll never learn, after all how did we ( the more experienced guys learn? ) we have to start somewhere and asking on a board such as this's a very good place to start. It's not rocket science...."Have a go, that's how i learned"....Just be VERY carefull on your 1st ride out after.
Steve

P.S. as for your forks.....A 14lb's sledge hammer does the trick!

Last edited by Mr.R : 23-Nov-2006 at 22:03.