Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Oct-2013, 08:29
Bikes: Ducati monster 620i A class - now a track bike, Triumph Sprint ST

Mood: Did I ever tell you that I ride a Ducati?
What i'm asking is why do people put other tyres on their monsters instead of the control tyre? Getting used to one thing, racing another...

David
Old 16-Oct-2013, 08:50
Big Twin

As Kev stated. Also the price deal I believe is only available to DD riders. To be honest if you are unsure about getting used to different types of tyres then maybe racing is not for you?
Old 16-Oct-2013, 13:03
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinHampshire
What i'm asking is why do people put other tyres on their monsters instead of the control tyre? Getting used to one thing, racing another...

David

Because the current control tyre is a race tyre designed for use on 4.5 inch rim for bikes capable of a maximum of 130mph.

My 800S2R has a 5.5 inch rim and can do over 130mph and constant road use would square off the control tyre in a very short time. Hence I use a 180 z rated road tyre on my 800

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 16-Oct-2013, 14:42

I might sound a bit thick here but I still don't have/understand the answer!

Specific to 600 and 620 monsters, do people use other track tyres when they're on the track or do they stay with the control tyre? Trackday with one and race with another and if so, why? Mine has got Corsa's on it at the minute but if the previous owner was racing it, why hasn't it got D209's on it?

And as i'm looking at putting new tyres on it pretty soon, then it would make sense to a) fit D209's and b) practice with what i'm going to race with.

I know what tyres are, and speed ratings etc, it's the application and useage that puzzles me.

As I said, apologies for being a bit thick...

David
Old 16-Oct-2013, 14:53
Montjuic

Quote:

Specific to 600 and 620 monsters, do people use other track tyres when they're on the track or do they stay with the control tyre? Trackday with one and race with another and if so, why? Mine has got Corsa's on it at the minute but if the previous owner was racing it, why hasn't it got D209's on it?

And as i'm looking at putting new tyres on it pretty soon, then it would make sense to a) fit D209's and b) practice with what i'm going to race with.

I know what tyres are, and speed ratings etc, it's the application and useage that puzzles me.

David
OK lets start with the thick bit, your right on that

Now if you want to race DD 600/620 YOU HAVE TO USE the control tyre

So why would on earth would you want to test on a track day with something different, or is it me thats thick.

IF it has not being raced for a 2 year period it would not have had dunlops on
Old 16-Oct-2013, 15:03

Wish i'd never bothered.... I'll keep my mouth shut.
Old 16-Oct-2013, 21:46
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
For a 620 Class A Monster, what's the control tyre and why don't people use it at other times?

So where has the Premiss come from that people trackday on one tyre and race on another.
I don't know of anybody racing in DD that does that and again as far as I know the majority if not all current DD bikes are only used for racing or testing/trackdays and NOT OTHER uses

I have bought DD bikes that haven't been used for a few seasons and they usually come with the old Pirelli Diablo control tyre.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 17-Oct-2013, 08:32
Big Twin

Quote:

David

Not thick at all Dave.

In my time with DD I did not use any other tyre on the bike. If I raced it somewhere else where tyres where free then I still stuck with the control tyre. Just made sense to me sticking with the tyre designed specifically for DD. I always thought that using say slicks or wets would give me a false sense of control when I swopped back to the DD tyre.
Old 18-Mar-2014, 14:50

Just got some tyres from here http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbik...zr17-73w-56657 Really good prices
Old 18-Dec-2014, 13:37
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

Has anyone used Michelin tyres on the ducatis to race on? On the same roundabout of Pirelli, Dunlop and the others. Am I right in that the dunlops profile is rounder than the Pirelli or is it the other way round?