Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:08
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Rattler's 2006 DD year in brief...........

....this may all sound a bit self-indulgent, but I thought I'd share some of my thoughts for the DD year of 2006......

......I entered the 2006 year after a 2005 season where I learnt that going fast on a trackday was nothing like going fast in a race!!

I'd gotten better throughout 2005, but felt unless I sustained this development through 2006, then I'd quit at the end of the year. I ended 2005 with 7th in the DD champ table, but better had to come. My consistency had got me to 7th, but I needed to raise my game - and I wanted a podium spot!!

The year started at Cadwell, with some lacklustre performances that meant that although I'd got a couple of top ten finishes, improvements needed to come quickly. I've never liked Cadwell and still don't really get it!! A best lap of 1.52.50 was not really good enough, but a couple of secs better than last year. Improvements had to come.

Throughout the year I did make improvements, at Brands my wet riding improved, at Castle Combe I qualified and started well, Donny was a fantastic race with Hawkman. I was starting to mix it with experienced racers. I raised by race game.

As the races came and went, I did get better, showed some better lap times and greatly improved final positions. I still wanted more though.

However, it appeared that I could only perform well on tracks that I knew well - I had to fix this too. I made a strong effort to raise my game through the season with a focused plan. I'd made a decision to improve and made a plan as to how I'd best achieve it. I just had to execute upon it. If 2006 as to be my last year, then I wanted to give it my all.

Oulton was my finest moment this year, on a track I didn't really know I managed a 3rd and 2nd, beat some great racers, Ian Leah and Andy Johnson amongst them - finally the podiums I'd planned for and wanted came.

My champ position was solid too, some riders had stopped racing or missed races, I needed strong races at Snett and Cadwell to ultimately challenge Ali for 3rd spot. Unfortunately Snett kicked me in the arse, with a poor qualifiying spot in the damp, that realistically cost me a chance to ultimately get 3rd spot and close the gap on Ali. Bad planning and lack of focus meant a poor result left me with too much to do from row 5. (Still much to learn Skywalker!!!)

Finally back to Cadwell, my nemesis, with a very slim chance of getting past Ali in the table but with a chance to get 5th if I crashed!!, I decided that I should go all out and see if I can get enough points, I could have backed off and taken a safe result, but that was not what I had planned.

I pressed hard at Cadwell, had the right mindset and managed two 4th places in the Sunday races, with a best weekend laptime of 1.48.30, over 4 secs better than earlier in the year and a full 6 seconds quicker than a year previously!!!!

Ended 4th in the table, some great racing by Dom, Kyle and Ali kept me away from the top spots, but I was close. Close enough for a return in 2007. I'd lovd to have raced with Dom too, but I think he was on a different track!!!

Over the Winter, I will take stock, replan, learn from my mistakes and be back in 2007 for a greater challenge for the top spots. However the game moves on, new faces, better times, quicker races, there's solid improvement throughout the classes. The secret is to improve faster than the others.

P. P. P. P. P. P. P. - that's how!!! (I'm just writing a book on how to do it!!!)

Enough self indulgence, but at the risk of appearing sycophantic, some praise to take its place....

Congratulations to all riders in DD this year. The riders know how great the series is, we may get very emotional and protective of the series at times, and maybe we lose control of thse emotions once in a while, but its because we really care about it.

If anyone's considering joining the series - just do it, you won't regret it. If racing is not for you, then come along to the races and support, a more friendly bunch I have not encountered anywhere in my life. Thanks for all the support from DSC'ers this year - it really is appreciated.

With a view on next year, if anyone feels they would like to get more involved my racing, the team is looking for more support / Sponsorship - seperate post here - http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=37456

Thanks to Nelly for building a great bike, Chass, Alan, Fordie and Kelly for great help and support all year long.

Special thanks to my team mate Phil, who whilst he was busy clearing off and winning the 583 champs by a mile, always took time to counsel, support and encourage me in my efforts.

And finally thanks to Karen and Harry for being there for me, the logistics of managing me and Harry throughout the country is not often easy, but Karen always does it with a great smile - thanks babe.

Can we go race 2007 yet????
Tim

Last edited by Rattler : 11-Oct-2006 at 17:49.
Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:15
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Nice one Tim I had a great time with you guys to, great result mate it was a blinder.
Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:16
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Yeah no problems at all

Well done mate, you've improved an awful lot. I'm gonna have hard work catching up to guys like you next year.

Congratulations and well done - to you and Karen, and for Harry too. He brings a smile to my fatherly face when I least expect it

Thanks for being a mate.
Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:18
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Nice one Timmy.

You've gone about your craft in the correct way and it's paid off (apart from when you became a lesbian at Snett). You've kept your head and ridden smart. Improving race by race and ending up on the podium twice at Oulton, and the 2nd place was bloody impressive IMO. You've shown flashes of brilliance and stuck in some awesome lap times - just not 8 in a row - yet.

You'll have a crack at race wins next season I'm sure. Keep doing the same thing, it's working for you. Just change your bloody gearing!!

Well done dude - on racing and becoming a daddy again.

A year to cherish.

Old 11-Oct-2006, 00:00
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Yep,

Well done Tim, I've followed your racing from the off and your improvement is testament to DD and what it can do for someone.

Andy
Old 11-Oct-2006, 07:29
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
yes, good read tim. glad you're out there again next year. looking forward to racing against you next year rather than just with you.
Old 11-Oct-2006, 09:25
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Weldon Tim I'm sure if there was a prize for most improved non novice you would have taken it. Great podiums this year and good luck next season I know you have more to come Basdid.
Old 11-Oct-2006, 14:17
500SD

Thumbs up

Well done Tim

2-1 to you as you beat me in championship
Had a great year racing with the sly old fox......

See you soon

kyle
Old 11-Oct-2006, 14:35
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Talking

Very nice, Tim, and nice to see complete sentences for a change, although I do love your bullet point style reports

And there's no denying that Karen and Harry love it. Either that, or they find you completely hilarious
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	P1000336 (Small) (Small).JPG Views:	288 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	1483