Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Oct-2005, 17:30

Scary Glitch at 7500rpm on my 748s

Can anyone shed any light on the below....please!

As I hit 7500rpm and stop accelerating or back off the throttle a little the power completely dies, then if you slowly come off the throttle more the power suddenly hits in and lurches you forward for a second. It only seems to happen at 7500rpm and can be very scary when in a corner. Backing off the power a little to then have a surge throwing you forward and off the racing line and nearly off the track!
I have had a diagnostic check and spoken to a coupel of dealers but do not know the cause of the problem, any help greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know of a garage when I can have a dyno check which may flag the problem in or around London (SW11)
Old 05-Oct-2005, 17:37
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Nasty!

....one of the real experts might be here in a minute but it sounds like if it could be a dodgy Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It's only a potentiometer and it can get a broken track or get dirty, or worn contacts.

If it gets like that, imagine it like a radio with a crackly volume knob where you get no volume, crackle, crackle then a big blast of volume. The TPS could be doing crap like that with your fuelling.
Old 05-Oct-2005, 17:49

Thanks Jools....
I did look into replacing the Potentiometer but due to cost and having had the diagnostic check I was told it was all working ok! Any idea if you can remove the part easily and have it tested or should it show up in the diagnostic tests ducati Proteam carried out for me?
Old 05-Oct-2005, 18:58
500SD

Here is a throttle position sensor, but as with everything ebay check the "REAL" price first.

Download the parts list for a 748S from the ducati website, every year is different

You should find your year at this link.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/service/...family=archive