Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Oct-2005, 18:30

Break chain for front sprocket change?

Do you have to break the chain to get the old front sprocket off? I loosened mine and had the chain all the way off the rear sprocket but it seemed like I still didn't have enough horizontal slack to get the old sprocket off the shaft. I know it's better to change sprockets and chain at the same time, but my chain is in fine condition and I'm only wanting to drop a tooth off the front for gearing purposes, not because of wear. Any tips?
Old 11-Oct-2005, 18:41
500SD

the simple answer is no - its a bit fiddly - try taking the chain off the rear sprocket first AND loosening the front sprocket - with a bit of twiddling around it will come off without breaking the chain!

khushy
Old 11-Oct-2005, 18:41
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Take the clutch slave cylinder off and you should just be able to slide the sprocket off with the chain still wrapped around it. I would be VERY surprised if there wasn't enough horizontal movement to do that.
Old 11-Oct-2005, 18:48
Ducati Corse

As jools says,take off the clutch slave cylinder and the whole sprocket will slide off with the chain on it(have you slackened the rear eccentric off as well?).
Old 12-Oct-2005, 15:20
Big Twin

Of course, strictly speaking, you should be removing the front sprocket regularly to clean out all the chain lube and gunge that collects around there...

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by moto748]
Old 12-Oct-2005, 15:25
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
All good advice, it can be done, although there isn't much flex sideways in the chain, so it's a case of getting the sprocket in the correct position and slowly lifting the chain over the teeth.... you'll have a few bleeding knuckles by the time you're finished though
Old 12-Oct-2005, 15:37
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
When you drop the chain off the rear sprocket, push it inboard of the sprocket, ie resting on the swingarm. This'll give you more of an angle to work with as the chain hits the frame near the swingarm pivot.