Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Jul-2014, 01:05
Mille
Bikes: M620ie, DD583R #30

aftermarket starter motor brush kits

The terminal bolt on the 620 starter motor has sheared off, then trying to remove the under nut has left the post rotating. To get at the long bolts on the starter I needed to buy a cranked 8mm ring spanner to get around the oil cooler hookups. Turned out the post had broken away at the spot weld to the brush wire, and also the plastic insulation had broken up as the bolt twisted. Found a local bike parts manufacturer, http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata..._Kits_327.html, that do a unit suitable for all duc twins from 1986, for £25 posted. It comes with all the parts including the insulation. They also have complete starter motors for around £90.

Is there a forum section for matching duc parts?
Old 29-Jul-2014, 11:15
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
We don't have a list as such, as we rely on the search engine to find this kind of thing!

Do you think it's worth having a specific section on replacement parts?

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 01-Aug-2014, 16:19
Mille

The price of genuine parts is often eye-watering. What about a sticky section in each Model Specific section that peeps can add too when they find a good deal on an aftermarket bit? Plus enabling these bits to be reviewed by someone whose actually bought and fitted it. Must be alot of uncollated knowledge around, especially for the 620ie and the 600ss.
Old 01-Aug-2014, 16:55
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I used Electrex brushes in the past - good stuff.

For the peace of mind I'd just save the rebuild hassle and go for a full new starter motor...

and lube the bolt up fully!
Old 04-Aug-2014, 19:49
Mille

Yes it was fiddly getting it back together, should have marked the motor case position so the long bolts could easily find their threads, and yes, smother that sucker in grease. To replace the entire motor involves removing the alternator cover using a pattern puller which I don't have. So was happy about just opening up one end. For anyone else buying from Electex the plastic insulation piece wouldn't sit flush with the wall of the motor top so it would have cracked if I'd tightened the Terminal Bolt. Reuse your own one or in 5 mins it was reshaped on a piece of sandpaper and then fitted ok