Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Mar-2005, 20:42
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Quote:
Originally posted by ath748
Always put the sidestand down BEFORE you even think of taking it off the paddock stand.

Hold pillion seat pad strap with left hand, as you lower the bike off the stand pull the whole bike firmly to the left and onto the sidestand, Then remove the paddock stand. Bosch. Sorted.

can't i've still got the suicide stand
Old 20-Mar-2005, 21:04
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Quote:
can't i've still got the suicide stand

Been there done it
Old 20-Mar-2005, 22:08
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
This is a right bugg*r then. Fordie said there's a knack to it and showed me the 'seat strap' method. I was gearing up to have a go with the one I've bought from Lord Rattler when I get it. Looks like another bit of kit I'm going to be too afraid to use on my own. I'll just add that to the bike trailer that I'm too nervous to use with a bike on it! And don't bother giving me any tips. Once I've got a mental block, it can't be shifted.
Old 20-Mar-2005, 22:31
Mille

Mood: dooM
And I'm pretty sure I won't be using mine on my own again. In fact, after it happened I felt like throwing the fcuking thing over the roof of my house.
Old 20-Mar-2005, 22:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Quote:
Originally posted by hogfisch
And I'm pretty sure I won't be using mine on my own again. In fact, after it happened I felt like throwing the fcuking thing over the roof of my house.

Fair enough. Bit of additional damage to roof tiles would have seemed insignificant I guess. But as you said, the damage wasn't too bad and it is only a bike, at the end of the day. It can be fixed. Actually, when I dropped my bike in the garage and damaged the tank, I was pretty gutted and every now and then I look at the dents and think, why was I so stupid? But it doesn't detract from the fun I have riding it and that is what they're meant for. Nothing worse than a bruised knee and a bruised ego? Not too bad really, is it?

(above comments only intended to help. Not trying to wind you up)
Old 20-Mar-2005, 22:48
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
Practice - that's all it takes. To help you, get another person (they don't have to be a biker ) and ask them to hold the bars and steady the bike while you take it off the paddock stand. After a while you'll get the hang of it.

Remember, you don't have to completely remove the paddock stand from the axel until the bike is safely on it's side stand - in fact it's easier if you don't.

Ade.
Old 21-Mar-2005, 08:37

Mood: Praying for a long dry 2005
I thoroughly recommend an ABBA stand, owned one for a couple of years now and had no problems. Operation is from the left hand side and gives full confidence and control (sounds like an advert for incontinence pads!!!)
Old 21-Mar-2005, 08:55
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
I agree with Godders.
I've never used a paddock stand but the ABBA stand allows solo operation and uses little effort.
Old 21-Mar-2005, 17:50
Big Twin

I have got a flip-up stand, as my earlier post implied ( the bit about sidling round the bike and putting the sidestand down).

Seems to me that the key is that this is the "fail-safe" method. In other words, even if your sidestand isn't flip-up, it's safest not to let the bike down onto it until you're positioned safely on the LHS of the bike and able to take it's weight. If you're standing behind the bike and it starts to topple, you 're very unlikely to be able to stop it.

I'm no pie-eater and I have no worries about using a paddock stand now.