Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Jan-2006, 12:52
500SD

Sockets and Torque Wench for Monster

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help. I want to buy a torque wrench and sockets for my 1995 monster tat I'm entering into the DD races this year. I have no manual with the bike. Can anyone advise a non mechanic as to whether I would need a 1/2 inch wrench or a 3/8 - and what LB'age wrench I should be looking for.

Many thanks

Franco
Old 07-Jan-2006, 13:09
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Just get abig hamer like Ali.
Old 08-Jan-2006, 08:31
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Fastfasulli
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help. I want to buy a torque wrench and sockets for my 1995 monster tat I'm entering into the DD races this year. I have no manual with the bike. Can anyone advise a non mechanic as to whether I would need a 1/2 inch wrench or a 3/8 - and what LB'age wrench I should be looking for.

Many thanks

Franco
Nip down to your local tool store/Halfords and get yourself a decent 1/2inch socket set.Make sure it has the bigger sockets in there,like 22,28mm for wheel spindles,etc.While you are at it,buy a rail of 1/2 inch drive Allen keys.(Ideal when removing calipers,handlebars and stuff).
I bought my torque wrench from Argos for about £14.Its range is 28-210nm.Its pretty crude,but it does what I want,again,Halfords or somewhere also have these.
I think you can download a monster manual here;www.duc.nu/manuals/
Good luck.
Old 08-Jan-2006, 11:25
Big Twin

Mood: Feeling peckish
Halfords own professional torque wrenches are just the ticket. Get the 3/8 one though, the 1/2" ones are well over the top on torque range but have a limited bottom end. the 3/8" goes up to 80 Nm (pretty much as much as you're ever going to need) and has a good bottom end range of torque scale, which is far more useful. Whilst you're at it, get a Halfords Professional 3/8 - 1/4" socket set, it's good quality and excelent value, the 3/8" set easily handles the heavier duty applications and the 1/4" set is great for the more fiddly work (which you'll use a fair bit). Also includes allen key bits, which are essential, and a 1/4" drive screwdriver handle, which is useful!
If you need spanners their professional range combination spanners are also good quality and good value, 8 - 19mm set is £25, and you'll want a 22mm on top for tight wheel nuts.
That's pretty much all I needed last year in DD, apart from a few screwdrivers (recommend Stanley set, £17 from screwfix or £22 anywhere else) and a hammer!
Old 08-Jan-2006, 13:21
500SD

Fantastic info chaps. Very much appreciated. Zimbo are you running in the DD this year?
Old 08-Jan-2006, 16:15
Big Twin

Mood: Feeling peckish
I am, I was pit crew last year but am sharing a ride on a 600 monster this year so doing half the rounds, starting at cadwell. Nervous, me??? . . .
Old 08-Jan-2006, 17:48
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Whoops,did I say 1/2"?
I meant 3/8"!
Doh!
Old 08-Jan-2006, 19:04
500SD

Cheers KeefyB.

Zimbo - I will be in the 583's. See you in the paddock if not on the message board before hand. I can't say the thought of Cadwell as my first time out fills me with confidence. It gives me butterflies just thinking about it!!!