Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jun-2003, 22:51
Mille

Mood: Rossi-tastico!
Rattler - thanks for the reply....does that mean that my rennsports will only be good for heating up and then cooling down 4 or five times......and after that will they be no good ?

I never seem to get them really hot anyway...how hard do you have to ride to really heat them up.....?

I have a softer compound on the front and harder on the rear.

If I never really heat them up that much will they last longer than the 4 ot 5 heat cycles it says in that article ?

cheers.
Old 09-Jun-2003, 23:03
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Dazza......

....as you can tell I'm no expert here, there are others on this site who will know far more than me about this.

I reckon that your rennsports should be good enough for 3-4 trackdays if used as they are intended to - ie heat up to their optimal temperature and not immersed in ice between sessions etc..... You will know if they are heating up as they will bobble up on the surface as they wear away.
Sometimes if the tyres do not get quite hot enough, but are subjected to wear on the track they can appear to wear but actually just tear at the surface, no real problem here, its just that they are not operating as they should.

If you are not getting them to their optimum temp, then they will last longer than this, likewise if they are going above this temp and/or usage, they will not last as long - if you see what I mean!!

You would typically have a softer tyre on the front than the back, bacause in normal track usage, the front tyre will not get as heavily used as the rear, so you can have a softer front tyre (in theory giving you more grip) and therefore the tyres will need replacing at the same time. ie the softer tyre will wear out quicker for the same given amount of usage than a harder tyre, but because it has less work to do, should wear at the same rate as the harder rear - does that make any sense?????

Tim
Old 09-Jun-2003, 23:17
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Dazza, my Rennsports have been through a fair few trackdays and are still going strong. Both RS2 front and rear. Never heard of this heat cycle stuff before but I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Old 09-Jun-2003, 23:18
Mille

Mood: Feeling Sad being Ducati-less :(
Rattler, surprisingly enough it did ! and at this time of night thats a bloody miracle - I guess no guiness tonight then ? :P
Old 09-Jun-2003, 23:34
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
That\'s because I have been drinking.........

Old 10-Jun-2003, 11:00
Mille

Nice one, thats cleared that up then. Thanks fellas.
The rennsports i have are new and only done about 40 miles or so.....I have a chicken-strip about 3/4 inch on the rear.....a few cycles round the big local roundabout still havent sorted it out cos im afraid to lean too much.

I think I reallly need to do a trackday, but I'm too much of a poof and worry about dropping the bike - its a mint SP3!!

HELP!!!!
Old 10-Jun-2003, 15:09
Mille

Mood: Feeling Sad being Ducati-less :(
Dazza, I'll scrub the edges up for you on a track day - I am sure Rattlet would volunteer also to help you, although he might scrub more than the tyres if the tyres aren't to his liking !!!
Old 10-Jun-2003, 15:47
Mille

Mood: Looking forwards...........
And I will scrub the fairing in............
Old 10-Jun-2003, 17:00
Mille

Hmmmm, tempting offers.......but i think i'll pass on those if you dont mind!

Do you chaps normally ride to trackdays or trailer or van the bike......
My closest track is Brands, has anyone trackdayed there ?
Old 10-Jun-2003, 17:02
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
You could always ask Lily. I hear she's a scrubber

Boy oh boy am I gonna get my arse kicked for that one.