Ian - YES - you have a U2U
Old 14-Aug-2003, 22:04
Mille

Mood: All SP'ed up at the moment
U2U you back mate

Ian
Old 15-Aug-2003, 20:18

Mood: Searching for Carla!
Dropping the front to 14t would save messing around with the chain, but has anyone any thoughts on accelerated chain wear?
Old 15-Aug-2003, 23:54
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by Capt Kremin
Dropping the front to 14t would save messing around with the chain, but has anyone any thoughts on accelerated chain wear?

Nope, just the acceleration
Old 16-Aug-2003, 10:16
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Yes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt Kremin

Fit a Scott-oiler

After 11,000 miles from new and constant checks on chain adjustment the markers on the swingarms have been moved by less than 5mm. I was going to wait until I had to replace this first chain/sprocket set but at this rate I'll be waiting for years. I'll be going up 2 teeth on my rear sprocket at the 12k service next month. What d'ya recommend, steel or hardened ally?

[Edited on 16-8-2003 by psychlist]
Old 20-Aug-2003, 20:54
Mille

tont
were did you get your 14t sprocket from?
mail order, local shop?
Old 21-Aug-2003, 18:21
Mille

Mood: waiting til next summer ;)
Hey SSTU
It was my local bike shop mate.
Even fitted it in their workshop when it arrived.... took two days to arrive though.

My thoughts about accelerated chain wear are none, i replace them every winter, so doesnt get chance to get much wear. LOL
Steve
Old 27-Aug-2003, 21:45
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
OK I've been thinking about sprockets since doing the Rockingham track day last week.

My bike is a 750ssie. Basically I was catching some 916 and 996 riders under brakes into the final hairpin, but they were then pulling away out of the corner and up the straight. So I was wanting some extra drive out of the corner. Sure my riding could probably improve, but I also felt like I was looking for more bottom end from the 750ss.

So change the sprockets to bigger/more teeth and it should pull better right?

However, given that with my not insubstantial bulk onboard I've only managed to wind the bike out to 125MPH (might be able to get an extra 10MPH with more road to play with), will changing the sprocket settings for more bottom end effect my topspeed all that much?

I'm also worried slightly by Frank's earlier comment about looking for another gear at the top end. I already start looking for another gear on the 750ss at about 80MPH plus. How much is changing the sprockets likely to make this worse?

Phill

[Edited on 27-8-2003 by phillc]
Old 29-Aug-2003, 10:18
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hi Phil - were you with me in the novice group by any chance, I thought it was a pair of ST4's that were passing me - but if it was a 750 thats even more impressive - good on ya

Never riden any Duke more modern than my 92 900ss so cant really say - I do hunt for gears on dual carriage ways, but didnt at Rockingham -lol- I was trying to use as few as possible to concentrate more.

If you are near needing a new C/S set I think its well worth a go as it really is the cheapest performance (accleration) boost you can get and lets face it - how often do we use more than 100 mph on the road - officer ???

I think Datatool do an LED gear indicator to let you know what gear you are in - always thought this was hilarious in my younger days when a vaguely remember a bike coming out with a gear indicator in the cockpit - now I need one.

Cheaper for electronic rev counters - (£60 ish?) but a gear driven version is also available for us old crocks (£100 ish) gulp !

Enjoy whats left of summer

Regards - Frank
Old 29-Aug-2003, 13:27
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Hey Frank,

Actually Murray Mint was at Rockingham in the Novice group on his fully faired 750ssie and he was quicker than me so I'll give the credit to him!

I think I will investigate changing the sprocket settings, it's not a massive investment after all. Along with a couple of other small mods (airbox for one) I'll be interested to see the difference.

My bike does have a rev counter, so if I glance at that I can usually figure what gear I am in. It's just the kind of "I'm revving a bit high, need to change up" gut reaction that has me looking for a gear that isn't there.

Cheers
Phill