Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-May-2003, 14:25
Mille

Mood: Meditating
My guess is that at some time in the bikes previous history it has been fitted with a set of 996SPS silencers and end pipe work. The SPS has the carbon heatsheild that fits onto the two welded mounts. The pipework where the aftermarket heat shield is fitted looks like standard BIP.

SPS bikes arrive with two sets of exhaust pipes, the cans that appear to be fitted to your bike are the standard cans that come fitted to the bike. The second set of cans have carbon fibre outers. Both have the heat shield brackets fitted.

Maybe he had a mate with an SPS who fitted the carbon cans and gave him the old cans.

The chip that is fitted with the carbon cans is the 073 chip number, but I cant remember the number of the chip for the standard cans, i'll have a look in my spares box tonight when I get home.
Old 13-May-2003, 14:27
Mille

Mood: Meditating
oh found another pic
Old 13-May-2003, 15:21
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
My 748S have the two welded nuts (I think!) on the 50mm Termignoni system that I have. This matches the SPS style carbon shield...

Old 13-May-2003, 15:38
Mille
Bikes: Red Ducati 848

Mood: Feeling Great :-)
Thanks for he replies guys. The main point I'm aiming for is are they the correct ones for the bike. And sounds like the answer is no. It runs fine at the moment but a bit slugish from a stand still. I'll check the chip tonight and post the number. I'll also look for markings on the cans. It's going into Techmoto for an inspection on the 19th so hopefully wayne will be able to help as well.

Thanks all
Old 13-May-2003, 17:46
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
They may not be the original pipes for the bike, but they certainly won't be the wrong ones for it as you can fit any pipes between the ranges.

The only thing that you will need to ensure is that the CPU (fuel chip) matches the exhaust system to ensure the optimum fueling for the size of exhausts.

TecMoto will be able to help you with this - top notch guys!
Old 13-May-2003, 18:14
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
I would echo the same comments as above.

A P Reg 748BP would not have come with the curved exhaust heat shield as standard. You would have only got the smaller 'paralleogram' shaped alloy guard above the rearsets that bolts onto the lower (collector) section of the pipes.

These pipes are almost definitely off an SP/SPS version, but more importantly not off yours...

Not sure if it's relevant, but on most bikes I've seen, the cans slot internally into the collector section, whereas yours slot externally 'over the top' of the collector section.

Ditto the chip check comments, but apart from that no real problems with them

[Edited on 13-5-2003 by Guido]
Old 13-May-2003, 18:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Unless you really want to change the pipes, I would just get the correct heatshield for it. It looks like you've already removed the passenger pegs. All you need now is a mono seat conversion!