Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-May-2004, 09:43

Hesitation!

Hi all,

Thought id test your knowledge with this one....
For about the last year or so i have had a cough/splutter and hesitation from the cylinder or through airbox, riding it last night on a smooth surface at a constant 4500rpm i could feel the bike surging just before it coughed.
I have asked Ducati and they are useless, I have had the bike set up on a dyno with a P.Commander so i know its not fuel air mixture, or a dogy fuel relay.
The only thing i can think of is a partly bunged up fuel filter!

Any help would be most appreciated.

THanks

Mark.
Old 20-May-2004, 22:19
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

So its a fuel injected beasty then...fuel filter would be my next guess too, but thats all, oh how about any fuel tank vent as well?

Good luck
Old 21-May-2004, 09:51

Thanks for the reply,

Im not sure were the fuel tank vent is though....do you?

Cheers

Mark.
Old 21-May-2004, 16:07
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Sorry Mark - search the threads on here or or get your Mo-cheeh down to Nelly at www.cornerspeed.co.uk - Nottingham - Pronto !!!
Old 21-May-2004, 16:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
I don't think it's your fuel supply but slighty out of balance TB's will cause this, especially at slight throttle openings. Does it pop back when you start to gently open it and when you are just trickling along at 30-35mph in 2nd gear?

I expect that the PC set up runs where less than subtle when they where running it up on the dyno and unlikly to pick it up.

Regards,

Rob
Old 21-May-2004, 16:58

Hi Rob,

Yeah thats exactly it, slight throttle opening at about 4-5000rpm, doesnt do it every time though and seems worse when the engine gets hot.
I just got a new fuel filter, do you think it;s worth trying that?
Also presuming TB's stands for throttle bodies how do i go about fixing this? can i do it myself?

Cheers

Mark.
Old 21-May-2004, 17:04
Ducati Meccanica

The fuel filter is dead easy to fit but it'll take a few minutes to do. I think you can get at your filter through the filler cap hole, same as my 888. Need to pull the filler cap off then take out the tank neck.

Anyway, TB's balancing is pretty easy but if you've never done it before you'd probabaly want to take it to a Pro. Frank mentioned Nelly. If you're near him in Notts, he comes highly recommended.

Rgds, Rob
Old 21-May-2004, 17:16

Ok thanks Rob, I'll try the new fuel filter this weekend to see if that cures it, if not ill give Nelly a ring, starting to get **ssed off with Italia Moto in lincoln, they just dont want to listen, Ive had this problem since i bought the bike 2 years ago from them and they just think it's fuel mixture!. Useless!!!!.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 21-May-2004, 17:31
Ducati Meccanica

Mark,

My 888 was similar but a 20min tune up sorted it out. If you want to take a peak down the inlets you should be able to see if they are basically opening at the same rate. It's really senstive from tickover through the first few thousand RPM on a very light load. Try it and you'll see what I mean. You hardly have to open the throttle at all. Get a couple of 3 or 4mm drills. One in the horizontal body and you should have the ame gp in the vert. TAKE CARE NOT TO DROP THE DRILLS THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck,

Rgds, Rob
Old 21-May-2004, 17:36

Great, cheers for the advice rob!!
I'll have a play tonight.

Mark.