Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Sep-2005, 02:04
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Booking yourself in the wrong group - Opinions please

I know it's not big or clever, but there's a trackday I really want to book up. Only problem is, there's only space in the novice group & I usually live in the fast group.

Can I/ should I book the novice place & get moved up on the day? Is this common practice?

Work commitments mean dates don't coincide again this year.
Old 10-Sep-2005, 02:21
Big Twin

you know the problem really dont you

i reckon its gonna depend on the trackday provider and if they are competent and able to move people within groups. some seem to be frightened to ask people to drop outa the fast group to make way for quicker riders, weve both had this eh.

i think this is exacerbated if your booking 2 groups below where you should be at.

but hey what a transformation it always used to be only fast group places left, perhaps this is some indication of how long track days have been around now.

thought is if the group is fairly empty it might be ok but its no fun running up on some guy on a bmw rt going 50 or so mph slower in front of you in to a corner and changing his line.

well i dont know

cant you ask me a question about sport?? im good at sport
Old 10-Sep-2005, 02:46
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Sorry if I upset anyone, but I would just book it and set about getting moved on the day.
Old 10-Sep-2005, 03:47
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
i would say no you should not. the fact that they don't have any places in fast or inters places means that it will be hard to move.

will you be able to ride at a pace that is realistic for the novice group ?
how would you feel if the TD company stopped you from riding as you are too fast for the group and there are no places in the other groups ?
Old 10-Sep-2005, 09:47
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Ask the organisers! Why miss out on a good TD .... Providing, as has been said - YOU can live with the responsibility of being curteous with riders that WILL be much slower than you in the novice group.

Failing that ... make sure you are in the holding area 10 mins before everyone else so you are at the front - have a clear track for a good few laps (after the sighting laps, of course) and can then bugger off, have fun until you start to lap slower riders....

The other downside as well, is having to usually listen to an extra briefing session before going on track and the possibility of missing a session if you move groups - it can happen.

Good luck - Frank
Old 10-Sep-2005, 15:09
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Quote:
Originally posted by electricsheep

No....generally find myself at the sharper end of the fast group, but it is a circuit I haven't ridden yet.

Quote:
how would you feel if the TD company stopped you from riding as you are too fast for the group and there are no places in the other groups ?

That's my concern.
Old 10-Sep-2005, 19:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Quote:
Originally posted by Wylie1
Quote:

No....generally find myself at the sharper end of the fast group, but it is a circuit I haven't ridden yet.

Quote:

That's my concern.

I've never known them to stop anyone for being too fast, passing too close or going underneath peeps yes!!

What TD cpmpany is it Wylie
Old 10-Sep-2005, 20:19
Big Twin

Looking at it from the novice point of view, If I would be "disappointed" if fast group riders turned up in the novices.

Can the organizers put you at the top of a reserve list if someone has to cancel?
Old 11-Sep-2005, 16:58
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Don't know much about trackdays ( yet ) but I would have thought it disheartening for a novice to be passed by a very fast rider, or worse still he/she may think '' I'll try and keep up with him '' with disasterous consequences.
Old 11-Sep-2005, 17:14
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Having a fast guy in the novice group is just dangerous for all concerned.

I would say keep in contact with the organisers, even up to the day of the track day, and see if any one drops out or a place becomes available.