Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Oct-2006, 20:38
Mille

Brighter headlight

Ive got twin headlights on the bike at the moment but its not as bright as I would like it, So im thinking of going back to the std headlight but would like to improve that, What would be the best type of bulb for brightness and how bigger wattage bulb could I use without causing trouble to the electrics
Old 31-Oct-2006, 20:47
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Taaa Daaaa:

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/showthread.php?t=9758

I've been here far too long......

Frank
Old 31-Oct-2006, 21:05
Mille

Cheers Frank
Interesting reading, How did you get on with the bulbs you tried
Old 01-Nov-2006, 00:05
Montjuic

Mood: :)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Duc
Ive got twin headlights on the bike at the moment but its not as bright as I would like it, So im thinking of going back to the std headlight but would like to improve that, What would be the best type of bulb for brightness and how bigger wattage bulb could I use without causing trouble to the electrics

I've just recently upped my 750ie standard headlight bulb to the Osram Silverstar +50%, as suggested by the article linked to by Iconic.

Took it out for a spin twice for a quick comparison, once with the old bulb and once with the new. I went on a road I wasn't at all familiar with (each time) to really know it was the headlight and not my memory that was directing me along, and I'm convinced - it's superb.

When I told a mate of mine about the Silverstar, he mentioned he'd heard of problems with certain bulbs heating up enough to affect the plastics on the SS headlight, but I've googled everywhere and can't find any conclusive proof, and definitely no-one with problems with the Osram Silverstar.

Cheers,

- bambam
Old 01-Nov-2006, 01:04
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I'm ashamed to say I've only ridden a handfull of times in the dark since I installed the Osram bulb but, the first time was on my way to Cadwell and I was definately impressed with the extra distance I was able to see clearly and for the price - I certainly believe they are worth trying.

Cheers - Frank
Old 01-Nov-2006, 07:15
Mille

Can you just plug the bulbs in or do you need to do any electrical mods ie relays, heavier wiring with these bulbs
Old 01-Nov-2006, 07:56
Big Twin

Mood: Feeling peckish
I upgraded mine to a Philips Vision Plus xenon bulb - again, a big difference, and since it's the same wattage no mods required. Cost about a tenner. Also good for winter as it's dual colour - dip beam is a slightly yellow tint, better in foggy or damp conditions, high beam is blue white and superb, good beam pattern as well.
Old 01-Nov-2006, 09:20
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Keep to the standard ratings and the electrics need no modification.
The difference is down to the quality of the components in the bulb... they still only draw 55W.........
I run the Halfords 30% % 50% brighter bulbs.... I think they may have a BOGOF offer on some of their range at the moment.
Old 01-Nov-2006, 09:39
Mille

I will go and check out halfords first then,thanks for all the feed back
Old 01-Nov-2006, 14:02
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
I fitted a better bulb, can't remember the exact type, but not massively impressed.

iIthink in the case of the 996 type bikes the problem is more poor reflector design, i.e. the headlight looks pretty, but is pretty useless

Form over function