Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Nov-2006, 13:17
Big Twin

Mood: r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz 748
Give it two years then buy a second-hand one with all the kit on it.
your on the £ with that one mate,i took the hit on my old 749r,never again,a loss of 25%+ over 2 years on the new one,its happened before,it will happen again.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 14:14
Mille

Mood: Got the S - waiting for the Termi's
The Tricolore only has slip ons and not the full 70mm termi system !
Old 19-Nov-2006, 14:50
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz 748
What makes them so expensive ?

Is it just the " Ducati " badge on the tank ?

Still want one

I hear this question all the time - there are a few reason but the for the main part: -

Firstly, Ducati are not the same size as any of the competitors that are most mentioned here, they are a "niche" market.
People think they are of similar size because of the strength of the brand and the success in racing but the truth is very much otherwise.

I mean how could you compare Ducati to say Honda or Yamaha?

Honda build tractors, generators, cars, motorbikes and much, much, much, much more.

Yamaha are similar in that they have their finger in many pies such as musical instruments and so on.

Kawasaki have significant roots in heavy engineering and as an example are experts in aircraft undercarriges.

Suzuki fall into the same category, cars etc.

BMW have a hugely successful car industry behind them.

To put it in perspective, Ducati build in the region of 30- 40,000 bikes a year - that's it!!

That is roughly just 2 - 3 DAYS of production for Honda on a global scale!!! - just allow that to sink in!!!!
There is also circa only 1,000 employees, my other half works in an office bigger than that!!!

The more you sell the cheaper it becomes to make them and prices can drop!

When Ducati are pleased about beating companies of that sheer magnitude in racing, it's because a tiny company (in comparison) such as theirs should never have a hope in hell of doing so, the resources they have are so much less for research and development - it's just their designers and engineers are superb and the design concept is totally different and arguably a better package.

Secondly, it is more expensive to actually build a twin, two water jackets, two seperate cylinders and so on (this is one reason why Aprilia and Honda twins are also more expensive generally)

LastlyThe brand name and image, not every brand can hold up to the success Ducati can!! Especially considering their comparitive size. They really are the underdog!!

Roll that lot together with the costs of racing, investing in new manufacturing techniques and the import taxes our government slap on etc, etc and the price of the bikes comes out the way it is!!

Mart

Last edited by Martin Ducati Glasgow : 19-Nov-2006 at 14:54.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 14:55
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Ducati Glasgow
I hear this question all the time - there are a few reason but the for the main part: -

Firstly, Ducati are not the same size as any of the competitors that are most mentioned here, they are a "niche" market.
People think they are of similar size because of the strength of the brand and the success in racing but the truth is very much otherwise.

I mean how could you compare Ducati to say Honda or Yamaha?

Honda build tractors, generators, cars, motorbikes and much, much, much, much more.

Yamaha are similar in that they have their finger in many pies such as musical instruments and so on.

Kawasaki have significant roots in heavy engineering and as an example are experts in aircraft undercarriges.

Suzuki fall into the same category, cars etc.

BMW have a hugely successful car industry behind them.

To put it in perspective, Ducati build in the region of 30- 40,000 bikes a year - that's it!!

That is roughly just 2 - 3 DAYS of production for Honda on a global scale!!! - just allow that to sink in!!!!

The more you sell the cheaper it becomes to make them and prices can drop!

When Ducati are pleased about beating companies of that sheer magnitude in racing, it's because a tiny company (in comparison) such as theirs should never have a hope in hell of doing so, the resources they have are so much less for research and development - it's just their designers and engineers are superb and the design concept is totally different and arguably a better package.

Secondly, it is more expensive to actually build a twin, two water jackets, two seperate cylinders and so on (this is one reason why Aprilia and Honda twins are also more expensive generally)

LastlyThe brand name and image, not every brand can hold up to the success Ducati can!! Especially considering their comparitive size. They really are the underdog!!

Roll that lot together with the costs of racing, investing in new manufacturing techniques and the import taxes our government slap on etc, etc and the price of the bikes comes out the way it is!!

Mart

Well put Mart. Despite this however the Americam market has cut it's prices significantly this year compared to what they were paying for the 999 range last year, which makes me think there is still room for Ducati UK to do the same were it possible (even a small amount as a gesture) but then pigs might fly.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 14:59
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKRR
The Tricolore only has slip ons and not the full 70mm termi system !

You sure about that UKRR. If so £4000 more than the base model doesnt seem such a bargain. I noticed on the Ducati website that you can just buy the end cans and a new ECU, so perhaps this is what is on the bike. Does that then mean if the OE pipes are still on it that so are the inpipe CATS. If so you would have to shell out another grand for the downpipes. The "S" starts to look a much more sensible option IMHO
Old 19-Nov-2006, 15:03
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
Well put Mart. Despite this however the Americam market has cut it's prices significantly this year compared to what they were paying for the 999 range last year, which makes me think there is still room for Ducati UK to do the same were it possible (even a small amount as a gesture) but then pigs might fly.

I also hoped for a "gesture" reduction but can only guess why there wasn't, so in my position I better reserve judgement.

For a guess though - keeping prices the same as the 999 goes as far as it can to protect future 2nd hand 999 values.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 16:41
GTL

Mood: Sort of shuffling along .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogalman
Look at the us/canada prices!!
Sadly it's this country, which is why we are checing out in the near future.

Good ... the rest of us who choose to stay won't miss you.

Are you sure that your new land of choice will be perfect for everything?
Old 19-Nov-2006, 16:50
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Pieman
Firstly, you aren't speaking for "the rest of us who choose to stay".

Secondly, was there any call for that remark?

Please consider deleting your post. Thank you.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 17:26
Mille

Mood: Got the S - waiting for the Termi's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
You sure about that UKRR. If so £4000 more than the base model doesnt seem such a bargain. I noticed on the Ducati website that you can just buy the end cans and a new ECU, so perhaps this is what is on the bike. Does that then mean if the OE pipes are still on it that so are the inpipe CATS. If so you would have to shell out another grand for the downpipes. The "S" starts to look a much more sensible option IMHO

Base - 12K
S - 14K
Tri - 16K

Now a FULL system would cost £1600 taking an S plus termi to £15600...i do not see ducati valuing the Tri premium at £400......so I guess its just a slip on for the Tri
Old 19-Nov-2006, 17:36
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom pieman
Good ... the rest of us who choose to stay won't miss you.
Do i care about anyone we leave behind? NO not unless they are our family or friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom pieman
Are you sure that your new land of choice will be perfect for everything?
No not everything. But most things are a hell of a lot better. For a start;
For my wife and i, council tax less than £50 per year,
Utilities considerably less,
Food , how good?
Food, how cheap,
People are polite,
teenagers show respect,
Guaranteed white christmas,
No litter,
No graffitti,
no muggings,
People can still leave there doors unlocked,
Beautifully maintained roads (they make our race tracks look like ploughed fields),
No pot holes,
No ruts,
No man-holes on the line in corners,
2 bedroom farmhouse with barn for less than £26,000,
Old age pensioners can walk the streets at night,
Children can still be children,
15 minutes from the nordshleife (if you know what that is??),
Somewhere where even Harley riders arn't mocked,
No gangs of youths with naff all to do but intimidate,
A place unspoilt by developers,
A place where someone in need is not ignored,
A place where people take pride in themselves,
A place where people respect others property,
A place with no rat race,
Cheap beer,
Excellant wine,
AND WE WON'T OWE A PENNY, Not that we do now! Ha Ha
Where we can retire in our mid forties. And still not owe a penny, just live off iinterest income.

How's that for starters???