Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Apr-2006, 23:08

749s wont start (fault codes)

Need a bit of help (advice) i have a mate who I used to ride with and after wintering his 749 s he went to start it and the battery was dead so we took the battery off and had it charged, when we put it back on the bike all we are getting form the bike is a constant clicking noise coming from what appears to be under where the battery is. After reading some of the posts on here we then went through the dash and the following codes came up 37.3 and 38 also on the dash when you put the ignition all the lights and everything seem to work but there is a key symbol flashing all the time and the edob ( I think that’s what its called) light wont go out.

After talking to a few ducati dealers for some advice they all seem to say the same thing mainly we never heard of that before but it could be the relay at the back of the battery was hoping someone could shed a bit of light on the problem as we are about 65 miles from a main dealer and all the local bike shops don’t have a clue as soon as you say what bike it is.

The bike may have got damp over the winter but it was in a shed away from the worst of the weather any help anybody can through at the problem would be much appreciated.
Old 24-Apr-2006, 23:37
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Take a look at this thread:-

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...2076#pid315189

Good luck
Old 24-Apr-2006, 23:57

I have read that post and all the other posts i can find on the matter one other point i should have made is that we can hear the pump priming up, that is one of the things a dealer told us to look at. what we cant work out is what the clicking noise is and why its clicking all the time.
Old 25-Apr-2006, 09:04
Montjuic

Sound like the pump primes and the starter soleniod energises, I would check the starter motor connections disconnect the start motor cable clean it up and reconnect use a contact grease or silicon to cover the connection after assembly.

I have had a problem in the past when the starter carbon brush contact with the commutator was poor and I had to strip and clean the starter motor.

Or alternatively and more likely although the battery is showing charged it is not holding much of a charge therefore it energizes the starter solenoid but cannot turn the starter motor. Try using a booster or jump it using the car battery.

Just a few thoughts.

Regards
Old 25-Apr-2006, 21:41
Mille

Same error codes as I had. See my updated post today for a diagnosis.
Old 25-Apr-2006, 23:05
Mille

dont use a booster on it you run the risk of frying the ecu/cpu thay dont like it