Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-May-2003, 21:58
Big Twin

Looking for Mechanic teacher

Hi there,

I have owned a number of Ducatis in the past and currently own a 916 track bike and a 996SPS.

I have been comtemplating for a long time doing most of the maintenance myself, since my experience of Ducati garages are essentially:
- Good job but outrageously expensive.
- Bad job and outrageously expensive.
- Doubtful job sometimes though cheap.
Also with a dedicated track bike, I am looking at spending my money on frequent services rather than people to do it for me!

I have learned my own way to master the basic maintenance of pretty much everything but the engine. Brakes, changing parts, wheel removal, clutch operations are now OK.

I would like to take it to the next stage and start touching at the engine. But I am so bloody scared of doing anything wrong that might have terminal consequences!! So I am turning towards the DSC to offer help. Henners told me that there was no plans for courses in the near future so I am launching a cry for help to fellow skilled DSC members.

I would like to master things that appear basic such as:
- Cambelt tension and change
- Throttle bodies synchro
- Fork servicing
Once confident with all that I would like to also learn Valve clearance check and adjustment and fault finding on electrics.

I am ready to reward this fellow skilled DSC member that will spend a day with me working on the bike with:
- Eternal gratitude
- Free beer tokens for some time
- One of the very first copy of Joe Bar Team in English (hilarious Comic book).
- A gift voucher of £50 at a track day organiser or Ducati shop.

I leave in London - Battersea. Any body taking up the offer?
Please let me know on phil996@btopenworld.com

Cheers
Philippe
Old 15-May-2003, 11:33
Montjuic

Mood: Waiting for the Sunshine
Cant Halfords help ?
Old 16-May-2003, 02:08
Big Twin

Yes I am thinking of involving them the day I will put a stereo on the Duke with a special CD charger replacing the ECU, tweeters in the airtubes and big Bass integrated in the airbox!!

Then I'll play some Termignoni tunes ... yeap this is all legal officer! I got me kite marks on the pipes! HE HE HE HE!!

:P
Old 19-May-2003, 01:13
Mille

The best thing to do is get an official workshop manual or join ducati owners club and borrow manual
Setting up throttle bodies - good info on ultimap site (link from sigma performance)
Most of the engine work is fairly straight forward including valve clearance and unless you need to do major engine repairs you do not need any special tools.

Sorry I can't help personally as i live in north yorks.
Old 19-May-2003, 09:27
Mille

Mood: Yoi
Quote:
Originally posted by pbrown
................ or join ducati owners club and borrow manual.............

Or check out their message board
Old 19-May-2003, 20:19
Big Twin

He he he ...

Anyway I would like to point out that I have received 3 offers for help from Ducati professional mechanics. They have all offered showing & helping me and even using the facility of their workshop.

They are all from up North and although it is a long trip for me, I will honour the offer with a visit. I will not name them so that nobody abuses their generosity but I am using this space to address a special thank you. You know who you are!

I would like to visit you all guys to honour the offer but I have got to start one at a time.

Big thanks to all anyway.
Cheers
Philippe
Old 19-May-2003, 23:12
Mille

Mood: Yoi
Good news Phillippe, let us all know how you get on.

David