Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Feb-2006, 01:57

ok so maybe not the rockers as I was told (the arms that came off had lost or badly pitted chrome on the ends so could have been the cause...although old ones make nice penholders...)

Bike ran fine the first time out (home from Ducati Manchester) - had to take it to work a day later because I had a puncture on my busa's front tyre but had starting trouble that lunchtime...was fine later so let it go...until today when I went out on a 15(ish) mile run and it started playing up same as before - stopped for an hour and then it wouldn't start, turns over but won't catch then the starter seems to jam (just clicks when button pressed, frees when rocked in gear) and petrol starts seeping out of the upper 'zorst joints (Termi's)...never seen flooding that bad, no way I'm trying again!

- thanks to the AA I got home after 4 hrs of waiting without shelter in 0 temps, worth the fee anyways - free from my bank.

Remains to be seen what Ducati Manchester do about it - bike went in 'cos of running problems mentioned above, belt service was on top seeing as it was due & there, rockers discovered during strip...cost just under £800 so for my money I kind of expect A **** OF A LOT MORE than the 30ish miles I've done since picking it up (more than 1/2 that getting home).

[Edited on 19-2-2006 by norty mart]

[Edited on 19-2-2006 by norty mart]
Old 19-Feb-2006, 03:08
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Having some tinnies and a barbie
Try checking your plug leads, if you can swap them around from front to back,if they reach, and see if the rear cylinder plays up. Often a shagged plug lead (HT) can break-down under load. Worth a try and costs nowt!
Old 19-Feb-2006, 11:37

Got petrol sitting in both pipes (sorry, didn't make that clear earlier) so I'll leave that to the mechanics who are supposed to have sorted it...don't fancy losing my eyebrows

- also, the oil level is way over the top so must be petrol in there too so don't want to risk damaging anything.
Old 19-Feb-2006, 22:20
Mille
Bikes: 748R, ZXR 400

Mood: Glad to be back down south.
Yep, sling it back at them. Although to be fair to them this seems to be a completely new problem, flooding, hydrostatic lock etc. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Old 20-Feb-2006, 00:12

Got to call them back on Tuesday & arrange collection.

When it cut out yesterday it felt the same as before, as though it was running on 1 cylinder...it was rough as you like under load but idled OK when I stopped.

My gut feeling is that, when it went in to be looked at, they just did the service and didn't try to get to the bottom of why it was there in the first place (I asked for the serviced as well because they had the bike and it would be due one soon anyhow).

Was probably a bad idea but I gave it a try this afternoon & it started OK but wouldn't rev, only ran it for a for a minute as I doubt the oil is up to much considering it's been diluted with petrol.
Old 20-Feb-2006, 12:08
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Sounds like one of the fuel injectors is goosed to me. Had a similar experience with my car once, kept dropping down to 3 cylinders and was rough as a badgers arse.
Old 20-Feb-2006, 14:27
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Could be the alternator of it's splines?? Timing, fuelling, charging and starting are all dependant on it being in place and secure.
Old 29-Mar-2006, 01:01

update

so, all of the above - bike went back in and this problem turned out to be a chunk of carbon fouling the top cylinder plug.

Snow/rain/crap weather in general so hadn't tried the bike since it came home...last Monday (20/03) dawned dry 'n bright so went to ride to work for a treat ('busa needs a good clean anyway) - got the 748 outside and it's just spinning the starter, not even a hint of it catching so I put it back inside (complete with cracked screen after it rolls back at me...need power to put it away properly as it lives in the house & we've a step to make things awkward...)

Get to work & call Ducati Manchester to say it's still fooked & eventually speak to one of the guys who looked at it who says "I had to disconnect the alarm (Meta 357) as it had gone into sleep mode before we tested it after changing the plugs" - anyways, advises me to do the same and bingo, deafen myself in the process but after reconnecting everything it starts fine - ****ing down by now so a couple of days later before I get to try again and guess what, dead again...more of the above & it's fine - conclusion, rockers did need changing & no doubt a bit of carbon had fouled the plugs but why the f*ck didn't they mention the alarm problem when dropping the bike off (or even before?!!) - upshot is it looks as if it's nothing worse than a goosed alarm which they fitted less than a year ago & hopefully is a warranty job to fix (cost me enough already this year!)

Next up, how customer friendly are Ducati Manchester & Meta...?
- will keep you informed...
Old 29-Mar-2006, 09:02
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
LOL... half a result mate... gutted for you and happy for you all in 1 post.
Old 31-May-2006, 18:43

well, the guys at Ducati Manchester managed to sort it out - the bikes been in/out so much over the past 6 weeks I'm surprised they didn't charge me storage fees...as it happens, didn't cost me a bean (although they got some dosh out of me anyway cos I've bought a few bits from them since...)

Seems to have been alarm that was behind it all, unit was initially swapped over, then finally rewired which has done the trick.

Bike came back last week but since it's not a jetski, I've only had it out the last couple of days...now I remember why I bought one, haven't stopped grinning since and my 'busa is even getting a bath to accompany her weeks holiday when the sun goes down!

Nice one Sean (the guy to speak to at DM)