Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Oct-2003, 21:05
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
748R?

have a 748, am considering 853 kit, but seriously tempted by IianX 748R.

Are there many performance differences which make it worth it spending my £2K on this rather than 853, and is servicing etc the same?

Paul
Old 21-Oct-2003, 10:03
Ducati Corse

I think it depends on how long you want to keep the bike.I would have thought that the 748R would hold it's value better than a 748/853.But i don't care,'cos i've had mine 8 years and am not intending to sell it!
Old 21-Oct-2003, 12:32
MotoGP God

not too worried about resale value, more running costs and riding experioence! I guess if I bought an R I would want to 853 that next year!
Paul
Old 21-Oct-2003, 14:08
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Superbike Problems

Except where noted below, there are no model years that are free from the following issues.

Safety

There have been three potentially safety-related issues.

Rear Wheel Spindle. 1994-1998 models were recalled so Ducati could inspect for possible cracks present on the rear wheel spindle. The concern was that this condition could cause the spindle to fail, causing a loss of control of the motorcycle and increasing the risk of a crash. Ducati sent ultrasonic inspection equipment to their dealers who were authorized to replace spindles if necessary.

I'm not aware of any spindles that were actually replaced during this recall. There's been speculation that improper tightening of the nut on the rear wheel caused wheel wobble, that in turn caused spindle cracks on an early machine (owned by a lawyer as I recall). I mention this because if you change your wheel yourself, there are safety consequences if you don't retighten it properly. Always recheck tightness after you've ridden a few miles.

748R Fuel Lines. An initial batch of 748R's were produced using suspect fuel lines which can deteriorate and subsequently leak. (CHECK YOURS GUIDO)

Clutch Slave. 2001 models were recalled for attention to a clutch slave cylinder problem. These slave cylinders would hydraulically lock the clutch if they leaked. Ducati has stocked its dealers with replacement cylinders.

Reliability

There are several reliability issues that could leave you stranded.

Alternator Wiring. For 1999, Ducati redesigned the electrical system for a larger capacity by going from a 350 watt design to a 500 watt three-phase system. Unfortunately the wiring and in-line connectors between the alternator and the regulator/rectifier on all years overheat because they have to pass over 30 amps continuously. The solution is to replace the wires with a larger gauge and eliminate the in-line connectors. Do it before you have problems.

Voltage Regulator. Voltage regulators fail due to overheating because they are located inside the fairing where they don't get enough cooling air. The solution is to either move them to a cooler location or to carry a spare. Actually, I've done both (after five failures). When I changed the alternator wiring, I mounted an Electrex regulator to the back of the license plate bracket and left the Ducati regulator in the stock position. Keep your battery on a trickle charger to avoid prolonged high charging currents.

Cam Timing Belts. It's critical that the cam belts be replaced every 12,000 miles to avoid potentially catastrophic engine damage. Ducati uses smaller diameter pulleys that cause the belt to turn tighter corners than the larger pulleys used in automobile engines. Ducati also uses a small diameter back-side belt-tensioning idler pulley arrangement that causes the belt to flex back in the opposite direction on each revolution. This back-and-forth belt flexing promotes premature fatigue failure. The original drive belt material often failed before the first recommended 6,000 mile replacement interval so Ducati now uses a Kevlar fiber reinforced belt.

Fuel Lines. Ducati fuel injection uses a high pressure fuel pump and in-tank fuel line failures are common if the recommendation to replace fuel hoses every two years is not followed. No danger, but the bike quits running.

Fuel Filter. A clogged fuel filter causes the high pressure fuel pump in Ducatis to draw much higher currents that are prime contributors to regulator failures.

Starter Relay Connection. The electrical connector that goes to the starter relay is often a poor fit and can cause inability to start for no apparent reason. Zip-tie it tight.

Starter Motor Wires. The rubber boot that covers the connection to the starter motor catches and holds water that corrodes the terminal making it crank hard or fail to start. Cover the connection with dielectric grease and check it seasonally.

Design Deficiencies

There are a number of commonly-experienced problems that you should be mindful of.

Rocker Arm Flaking. This is a major unresolved design problem that affects all model years. The chrome plating on the rocker arms flake off and damage the cam lobes. A time-consuming removal of the camshafts is mandatory to determine the full extent of the condition of the rocker arms so ANY PURCHASE SHOULD BE PREDICATED ON AN ACCEPTABLE INSPECTION. Depending on the circumstances, Ducati may elect to replace defective parts on out-of-warranty bikes but the owner will have to pay the labor costs.

Coolant Expansion Tank. The tank sees repeated thermal cycling and they crack at the molded seam (underneath the ignition key) so watch for small coolant droplets. Check that your dealer keeps replacements in stock or pick up a spare on eBay.

Flywheel Retaining Nut. Problems develop when this retaining nut is removed. They may loosen and cause extensive damage and they are difficult to re-install reliably.

Cush Drive. These occasionally are reported to back-out and cause damage to the swingarm.

Crankshaft Oil Galley Plug. Check your oil screen at each oil change for aluminum fingernail clipping size particles. Early-year bikes had problems with this plug backing-out. If not caught in time, the plug will come out and you'll get a catastrophic loss of lubrication. In 2001, the aluminum oil galley plug was replaced with a steel plug.

Oil Pressure Sending Unit. These parts are unreliable. However, if your oil pressure light comes on don't run the engine until you diagnose the problem.

Low Fuel Sending Unit. These parts are unreliable (by nature). Get in the habit of resetting your odometer when refueling.

Clutch Slave Leaks. Watch your reservoir fluid level. There are aftermarket replacements for the stock unit that are more reliable.

[Edited on 10-21-2003 by Shazaam!]

[Edited on 10-21-2003 by Shazaam!]
Old 22-Oct-2003, 23:07
MotoGP God

gulp

shall I sell her now
Old 22-Oct-2003, 23:15
Ducati Corse

NAH!!!!!!!
Old 23-Oct-2003, 11:10