Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Apr-2004, 19:06
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
748 problems part 2

I have replaced the burnt out block connector behind the battery tray with bullet connectors (of the correct rating) but when the starter is pressed nothing happens not even a click bike is priming when switched on and alarm is functioning correctly fuses are all present and correct so i guessed that the ignition relay may be at fault managed to get a new one this afternoon but wont be able to fit it till tomorrow but it seems the obvious culprit to me (and it only cost £6.00 as well ) .
where the block connector was replaced can't be the problem as the bike worked fine when it was burnt out it just didn't charge with the lights on !

and while i'm on a roll would clutch drag be a symptom of air in the system or just a sign of a worn out clutch ?
Old 28-Apr-2004, 19:28
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
If the fuel pump is priming then it's unlikely to be the ignition relay. this throws power through to the ECU which in turn fires the pump into life.
I'd guess it's the connector on the back of the solenoid. It's probably been dislodged whilst you've had the battery tray out.
The clutch drag could be air in the system or a leaking slave cylinder. If the plates are worn, then there'd be more play in the pack so less likelyhood of drag.
Old 28-Apr-2004, 19:39
Big Twin

qoute :I'd guess it's the connector on the back of the solenoid

is that on the igniton relay itself ? if not where is the solenoid??

ah yes the slave cylinder is leaking i'd forgotten about that!!!

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Nigel C]
Old 28-Apr-2004, 20:04
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Front of the battery tray - follow the heavy cable from the positive terminal - at the end ofthecable, that's the solenoid.
At the back of said solenoid as you look at it from the side of the bike, is a small white twin terminal connector this has a pretty crap push fit - this is the feed from the starter switch.
Try re-fitting it and if it all then works, put a cable tie around it.
Andy
Old 30-Apr-2004, 19:36
Big Twin

many thanks guys i had indeed pulled the connector on the solenoid out after 5 mins trying to figure where the connector went that was dangling by the battery !! cable tied on now !!!