Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Mar-2012, 14:36
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Fair to middling
1098, reliable or not, lets put this one to bed.

OK, so as you would expect, having bought the bike last Friday and after service, MOT, a few tweaks and new tyre she is being picked up on Thursday.

So for the last week, all I have done is read reviews and more reviews and comparisons and shootouts. The more forums and rreviews that you read, I guess the greater the chance of you finding something that you dont want to find.

The two choices I had when getting the bike were the 2007 1098 (standard) or a 2010 Blade. The blade had 6000ish on the clock and the 1098 3820.

Of course you have to accept that the blade will probaly be more reliable and, perhaps, better built than the Duke; probably better than everything else on the road for that matter so not necessarily a fair comparison. you lso have to accept that you dont buy a 1098 for comfort and practicality - its more of a heart thing, if you get my drift - of course you do, this is a Ducati forum. Nevertheless, there are umpteen forums which do nothing but still slate the bikes even as late as into the 2010s. OK, the older bikes might have been more temperamental but the modern versions?

So as you lot are probably the most knowledgeable, put this one to bed, is this still an old wives tale or is there credence to what is being said.
Old 13-Mar-2012, 15:22
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

There are very few people who will ever get full potential out of either the blade or the 1098 and those that do will either be in the fast group TD or racing them. Which really does limit the amount of people who can honestly sit down and say wether the bike is good, bad or whatever.

Anyone else really is playing at it, they are toys that are legal to ride on the road. Don't get too hung up on it. So what if x forum says this and y forum say that. Get your bike and enjoy it, you will find it is an awesome peice of kit.

Anyone one on here especially the DD lads will tell you at the end of the day it's 80% rider and 20% bike.

The Blade is an awesome tool but I know racers who if they had the money would race a Duc, Bongo for a start has said it just this week.

You own a Ducati, and they are a bit different, are they better? No they are different.

Paul #196
Old 13-Mar-2012, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDL
There are very few people who will ever get full potential out of either the blade or the 1098 and those that do will either be in the fast group TD or racing them. Which really does limit the amount of people who can honestly sit down and say wether the bike is good, bad or whatever.

Anyone else really is playing at it, they are toys that are legal to ride on the road. Don't get too hung up on it. So what if x forum says this and y forum say that. Get your bike and enjoy it, you will find it is an awesome peice of kit.

Anyone one on here especially the DD lads will tell you at the end of the day it's 80% rider and 20% bike.

The Blade is an awesome tool but I know racers who if they had the money would race a Duc, Bongo for a start has said it just this week.

You own a Ducati, and they are a bit different, are they better? No they are different.

Paul #196

Thanks for that.

Not talking about handling or abilities of the bike. There's not a cat in hells chance that anyone can get 75% out of the bike on the roads let alone 100%. i bought the bike for looks, sound, uniqueness (and it goes with my leathers ) i dont care about 0-60 times or round the track because the Blade or the Duke (or a RG250) would kill me before i reached their full potential.

What im asking about is reliability, straight forward nuts and bolts mechnical and electrical reliability.
Old 13-Mar-2012, 16:53
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
I own a 996 from 1999, have done since 2001. When I bought it, all my mates said "ooh, Ducatis... unreliable....."

In that time I have been trailered home twice (once after a puncture, once after I threw it down the road) and stranded (at a pub, fortunately) once, when the immobiliser, er, immobilised...

I had more trouble with my old zx6r than I ever did with the 996. It's just a myth that they're unreliable.

Mind, mine hasn't been out of the garage in 18 months so it hasn't had much chance to break down recently
Old 13-Mar-2012, 18:44
Bikes: 1098s

Mood: relaxed
I took my 1098s from here to the Pyrenees and back. It rained and on the first day I did 650 miles 04.00 till 18.00 mostly in the saddle. Bike never let me down once and apart from a flat back side it was not uncomfortable. Once in the mountains it was a dream and just blew me away. Every time we stopped it drew a crowd. It is as other have said neither better or worse than a blade just different and I think wonderful.
Old 13-Mar-2012, 19:57
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
O.K working backwards in time....

Not had a moments trouble with my ST4S , including an entire trip through france where it rained constantly.

Only trouble i had with my 998 was the alarm until i ripped it out.

No trouble what so ever with a 748r, THEN IT GOT NICKED.

'97 748bp killed a main bearing

This covers 14 years ownership.
Old 13-Mar-2012, 20:03
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Have had my 1098R bayliss rep for 3 years, and other than known problems such as a sprung radiator, front fork recall (all done under warrenty even though rad was out of warrenty period) i have not had any problems with it other than a reluctance to start after having been left without my optimate on in cold weather.

I have ridden it through what could only be described as a monsoon when i had to catch a ferry and it never let me down, even the following morning after having been parked on the car deck for 22 hours in the freezing cold,

Saying that i never had any issues with my 1098S/999R or 748
Old 13-Mar-2012, 21:57

There we go, I know im just getting itchy feet. Its all good and everyone else is wrong.

i guess at the end of the day, you will always have a bad banana in a bunch and statistically some bikes will have a manufacturing defect or QA missed issue. My steed will be ridden dry only, open roads and not towns and will be serviced and treated when necessary. Look after the bike and the bike will look after you. Plus I will get a years warranty from the dealership.
Old 14-Mar-2012, 22:06
500SD
Bikes: 899

Mood: Optomistic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrunkenBakers
There we go, I know im just getting itchy feet. Its all good and everyone else is wrong.

i guess at the end of the day, you will always have a bad banana in a bunch and statistically some bikes will have a manufacturing defect or QA missed issue. My steed will be ridden dry only, open roads and not towns and will be serviced and treated when necessary. Look after the bike and the bike will look after you. Plus I will get a years warranty from the dealership.

Hi, I moved from Honda in 2003 to a 996s, 1098s and now 1198sp, they have all had their moments The Honda was a blackbird but still needed a new loom The 996 needed a battery, front sprocket and rear brake calliper in 17k miles, 1098 you can read on here somewhere, but as you say sometimes a rogue one comes along, but it never really put me off. I ride all year and do the odd trackday Best advice is just ride the wheels off of it

Kim
Old 17-Mar-2012, 23:19
Montjuic
Bikes: Ducati 1098

Mood: Chilled
I've had my 1098 2yrs now and it's been brilliant. It's been ridden in all weather all year. go for it!